Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the whole centerpin world and was wondering what most of you guys do to prepare a centerpin for the season? Any tips, insight, or testimonies would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
Is this a bearing or bushing center pin? If it's bushings, remove them then spray with carb cleaner. Once dry, get some metal polishing paste like Blue Magic and a small wool polishing tip for a Dremel and run it in and out of the bushing a few times. Remove leftover paste with a Q-tip soaked in alcohol. When the bushing polishing is done, it should be a mirror shine inside. Use a good oil like TSI 321 on the bushings. If it uses bearings, soak them in naptha (Zippo fluid) for a good 15 minutes shaking every so often to dislodge any particles. Let them air dry and hit them with a drop of your oil of choice. For winter fishing, I'd go with a lighter oil like 3 in 1 Blue or Tournament Rocket Fuel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this a bearing or bushing center pin? If it's bushings, remove them then spray with carb cleaner. Once dry, get some metal polishing paste like Blue Magic and a small wool polishing tip for a Dremel and run it in and out of the bushing a few times. Remove leftover paste with a Q-tip soaked in alcohol. When the bushing polishing is done, it should be a mirror shine inside. Use a good oil like TSI 321 on the bushings. If it uses bearings, soak them in naptha (Zippo fluid) for a good 15 minutes shaking every so often to dislodge any particles. Let them air dry and hit them with a drop of your oil of choice. For winter fishing, I'd go with a lighter oil like 3 in 1 Blue or Tournament Rocket Fuel.
Is it bad to pull bearings from the housing and put them back inside? I figured that there was a seal or O-ring inside kind of like a wheel bearing on a trailer.

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
Is it bad to pull bearings from the housing and put them back inside? I figured that there was a seal or O-ring inside kind of like a wheel bearing on a trailer.
Usually bearing retainers are nothing but a small C-clip that fits in a groove. You can pull the clip with needle nose and reinstall just by pressing it in with your finger.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usually bearing retainers are nothing but a small C-clip that fits in a groove. You can pull the clip with needle nose and reinstall just by pressing it in with your finger.
Alright, I'll give that a shot. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
Something else to add, sometimes bearings are held in by friction. You can tap them out with a dowel pin. If it's a little too difficult you may need a drift and machinists block, but that's a worst case scenario.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts