Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone posted on the Varmint forum about using a centerfire at night but WITHOUT a light. Boehr, Is he correct in his statements or is that just a flaw in wording and you will still be illegal?

Just wondering because with the snow and any full moon, you wouldnt need a light.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
My interpetation is; Illegal to use a centerfire at night. Light or no light. I will do further checking to ensure my interpetation is correct.

At night a .22 caliber rimfire or smaller is all you can use....shotgun etc..... It gives/allows permission to use a light if you want too It's clear that those are the only type firearms or bow, you can use even if you choose not to use a light.

The actual wording of the law:

2.4 Permissible use of artificial lights.
Sec. 2.4. (1) Artificial lights, similar to the type ordinarily held in the hand or on the person, may be used from September 15 to March 31 by a person traveling afoot with a bow and arrow, a rimfire firearm .22 caliber or smaller or shotgun with loads other than buckshot, slug or cut shell, however, the person shall not possess a loaded firearm or bow with a nocked arrow except when 1 or more of the following conditions apply:
(a) The person is following dogs and is at the point of kill for taking a treed raccoon during the open season for taking raccoon by hunting.
(b) The person is following dogs and is at the point of kill for taking opossum during the open season for taking opossum by hunting.
(c) The person is taking coyote or fox with the aid of a game or predator call during the open season for taking fox by hunting.
(2) Persons not possessing a bow or firearm while traveling afoot may use lights as defined in subsection (1) during dog training or field dog trials to follow dogs chasing raccoon, opossum, or fox.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
At the present time there is some different interpetation in the law. I believe my interpetation is correct. Until there is an different interpetation we (all COs) will be enforcing it as a centerfire is legal providing a light is not used. That is only fair to the sportsmen and the least intrusive.

If something changes, I will post here and in the varmit hunting section.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts