Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of in the market for a new boat right now i have a 27' wellcraft coastal and its been a good boat. I see alot of guys switching over the big 30' center consoles and i do like the look of them and the openness but ive never been on one. whats the advantages and disadvantages of them and what are some of the better used brands?

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Great when it's hot out,no so much when it's cold or nasty. I've fished several and if I lived in Florida I'd have a seahunt or yellowfin. Living here, I have an express, I like to be warm and dry..

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I leave it in the manistee river for a month. I like the express style boats. Are the center consoles more fuel efficient?

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
I've got a center console and I dress for the conditions... I might get a little wet or the wind might get me, but you can't beat their "fishability." I usually wear my ice fishing gear in the spring when it's cold though. Additionally, you can get center consoles rigged with Eiason glass full enclosures... no worries about, wind, rain, or cold that way. Buy one that has a fast offshore layup hull and you'll beat everyone else to the fishing hole, too!

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
Make sure your crew has room to sit. Last CC I fished on I sat on the gunnel, in early April, in heavy chop. Really safe place but that was the only option as the bow was full of crap and sitting on the live well in front of the console was useless. Guys knew when a fish hit as I stood up and a shower of ice would noisily break off my parka. Herter's built good stuff before Cabela's shut them down.

·
Registered
846 Posts
This is my summer project. Chris Craft Catalina 251 express. Just dropped it off this morning for a new camper enclosure. Also gonna have curtains off the back of the hard top. Little shelter from the weather and a head you wont bump your head in. Radio and electronics wont be getting wet either. Mama can stay happy and sun up front while I fish when the weather is nice too.
IMAG0393.jpg

·
Registered
846 Posts
This was just after I removed the back railing. I then did some gel coat repair and bedded new stainless snaps for the canvas. When I get the boat back, I'll be installing flush mount rof holders where the rail stantions were. Start puttingin electronics and some other various rod holders. While I wait, I'll be re finishing the teak and combing panels..
IMAG0394.jpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
The consoles are for down south period. I'll run east out of fort pierce 2 miles to catch bait, then 15-20 to start trolling and thats just for fishing the western wall. I figure those trips to be 5 hours and 60-70 miles. Conditions can get sporty. Its gas efficiency, they are small, light and quick.
Up here nobody fishes like that, if you talk about running a hundred miles these guys think your sick.
THEN....there are wet CCs and dry CCs but all of them get you wet. Thats fine when the water temp is above 70 and same with the air. Dont forget about rain! Up here i thing they are stupid. Dudes buy them just to look cool. Get a hard top for up here.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I keep an express hardtop in Manistee and a 22 Mako CC to trailer to other ports. The full enclosure on the express is great in spring, fall, rain, and cold. The center console is definitely harder on the crew because you're spend most of the time on your feet, and are exposed. I have a dodger that covers the bow and provides a degree of protection from the elements. The Mako also has a T-top with eisenglass wrapped around the vertical supports.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
My input on cc is cc placement. My dads mako blows because its in the rear of the boat making fishing tough. It rides great though. My cc is in the front of my alumiweld leaving the back wide open, but i take some beating driving in chop.

Cc's definitely out in elements, but pretty vesitle as well. If i only fished id have a nice full enclosure, but i run layout boat tender during duck season, walleye jigging on the sag and detroit river, and summer trolling. So cc is perfect for me as a 9 month a year boat. Just gotta toughen up in the cold.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I've had a fountain 29' sportfish for the past 4 seasons. Definitely helps with the eliments and with the kids in the cuddy. Plenty of fishable room in the back end and gets me to my spot in a hurry. Two negatives: it gulps the gas and the beam is a bit narrow for a 29' boat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts