Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just putting some information out there for people that may be interested. For the most part I have figured most of how my phone works and how reception is in my area.

Fore instance not all smart phones are Wi Fi enabled with the plan that you are using. You may not be able to make a Wi Fi call (for better reception) just by putting in a router in your house. It would help out with browsing the net.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I'
Just putting some information out there for people that may be interested. For the most part I have figured most of how my phone works and how reception is in my area.

Fore instance not all smart phones are Wi Fi enabled with the plan that you are using. You may not be able to make a Wi Fi call (for better reception) just by putting in a router in your house. It would help out with browsing the net.
I'm not an electrical wizard so a lot of this cell phone talk is foreign to me. So, I have verizon and when I place a call it works, almost everytime. Central upper peninsula has a few dead spots, other than that it works from Alaska to Hawaii. 3G, 4G, 5G, LTE is a foreign language, actually I understand a little but have no idea of it's application. When I serf the web, it's as fast as I need it to be. I'm happy with what I have. With all this additional speed their talking about, maybe they will have the answer before I ask the question.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I live in a cell dead zone. I have one of the Wilson amplifiers and it helps a little but you have to be right next to the inside transmitter to get any signal. I can text but messages are sometimes slow to go through. If I try to make a call I lay the phone on the counter right next to the amplifier and put the phone on speaker.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wife has poor reception with Verizon at our place near Dublin. I have been told a "booster" might fix it.
If you have Wi Fi a range extender may help. Does not amplify the signal just grabs your existing signal and extends it to a farther distance. A lot of them on the market.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
We use a Verizon booster at work inside our steel building. It works great about 85% of the time. Our only real complaint is when someone calls our phones and it never rings, this only happens once on awhile. Calling out and texting work great.

If you have a wireless router then you could always use wi-fi calling.

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
If you have Wi Fi a range extender may help. Does not amplify the signal just grabs your existing signal and extends it to a farther distance. A lot of them on the market.
Instead of a range extender, hard wire another access point and put it on a different channel from the other but with the same SSID, then disable the firewall, DNS, and DHCP on the secondary access point. This way you will get a much better signal and not halve the bandwidth like you would connecting one AP to the other over wifi. What this does is let you seemlessly roam and the APs will hand off the signal to one another. My home has three hardwired access points, one on either side of the house and the other in the garage. I get a minimum of 400Mbit and a max of 700-ish Mbit throughout my home and back yard.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Instead of a range extender, hard wire another access point and put it on a different channel from the other but with the same SSID, then disable the firewall, DNS, and DHCP on the secondary access point. This way you will get a much better signal and not halve the bandwidth like you would connecting one AP to the other over wifi. What this does is let you seemlessly roam and the APs will hand off the signal to one another. My home has three hardwired access points, one on either side of the house and the other in the garage. I get a minimum of 400Mbit and a max of 700-ish Mbit throughout my home and back yard.
Where do you people live? I live in midstate MI and have zero problems wherever I go. Caseville used to be a problem area but not no more with Verizon. All I can say when I need to make a call, wherever I am, except for central UP, my call goes through. I'm assuming when I'm at home the call goes through the WI-Fi system. I have a long ranch style house and I do have an extender to get my router signal from end to end.

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
Where do you people live? I live in midstate MI and have zero problems wherever I go. Caseville used to be a problem area but not no more with Verizon. All I can say when I need to make a call, wherever I am, except for central UP, my call goes through. I'm assuming when I'm at home the call goes through the WI-Fi system. I have a long ranch style house and I do have an extender to get my router signal from end to end.
The area I live in Warren is a big dead spot for cell service. I've had AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile during my time in my home and none had good reception. Calls wouldn't go through many times and I often had friends and family ask why I didn't answer. My phone seldom rang. Straight to voice mail. I didn't set up such an elaborate wifi system for making calls though, I stream a lot of media throughout my home and run IP cameras which require good stable bandwidth. I also run a captive portal for guest access and limit the bandwidth to guest devices to 50Mbit which is plenty enough for them to browse the web, YouTube, etc.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
Great Lakes Energy has strung most of the Petoskey area and some of Emmet County and have started rolling out high speed internet.
They just started running the drops to the homes from the street, with mine supposedly being done this past August, but they're running well behind schedule.
It can't get here fast enough, the only internet we have is through our phone with the quality of service changing day to day.
Some days it's multiple dropped calls, and other days I can actually stream through my phone and cast to my flat screen TV.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
No cell service at deer camp. None. Works great, "nope honey we cant get phone calls". Never told her the Onstar works though.

Reactions: 6Speed
1 - 20 of 20 Posts