Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yep true but if you want to shoot today, there's really no choice. Most older shooters don't want to wait till there about dead before buying primers. At this point in my life, I'm not waiting for anything if I can find it now. You young guys can if you chose but life's too short to sit around 3,4,5 years maybe more before **** comes back down.
"You young guys"?

Try I have been retired since 1999.....

The prices will stay up as long as people keep buying. Stop paying the vig and prices will return to normal very quickly.

·
Registered
762 Posts
"You young guys"?

Try I have been retired since 1999.....

The prices will stay up as long as people keep buying. Stop paying the vig and prices will return to normal very quickly.
Not sure I agree with that theory. There gonna come down either way, I just don't see a guy your age waiting when it's something you love doing now. I guess everyone has there opinions tho. Fortunately I have several thousand large rifle primers and it's mostly what I shoot. I have a few thousand magnums so I'm good for a couple barrels anyway.

·
44,250 Posts
Yep. Considering all the starting wage jobs out there have gone from 8-9.00 per hour to 12-16.00, I'd say that 5.9% in SS raise isn't even close to the increases the minimum wage people are getting today. On top of that, restaurant meals have increased 40% from it. Sure don't help the retiree's one bit.
Doesn't change the fact that those on SS got a bigger raise than the average working American.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Mostly correct but if your a guy that didn't use magnum primers and had no reason to buy them, you won't find them all that easy today. That's the case with me. I haven't shot magnums much for several years and the last two years I built a 338 LM improved and a 300 PRC Improved. I had loaded ammo for my previous magnums and didn't need any primers. I have 3000 mag primers so not out but usually I have 6-8K in whatever size I use. I'll get some way before I run out.

I just bought a 350 Legend last year but the quantity of Rem 7 1/2, CCI 400,450 and Federal 205 I have made primers a non issue. I easily found powder for it at reasonable prices $40</lb and bullets at $30/100 shipped.. I even found brass for good prices, so I could still load and shoot my new rifle for much less than I could buy ammo. I shoot as much as I want and have time to do so.. I've even shared with those in need here on this forum.... I won't tell how many primers or how much powder I have. I'll just say that I have enough supplies..

·
Registered
39,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Doesn't change the fact that those on SS got a bigger raise than the average working American.
For most Americans SSI is only a portion of income. It is probably is only a 1% or less raise on retirement income while those working received 3-4 times more. Inflation is probably 8%.

Reactions: LGB

·
44,250 Posts
For most Americans SSI is only a portion of income. It is probably is only a 1% or less raise on retirement income while those working received 3-4 times more. Inflation is probably 8%.
I'd like to see evidence of that. I'd bet most retired Americans aren't anywhere near having that kind of ratio of income (ssi to other income). The median income of retirees is something like $45k/yr including SSI. To be 1% raise SSI would have to be around 16% of income. You'd be saying most American retirees have income around 100k/yr.

Besides, I very specifically said "on a percentage basis".

·
Registered
738 Posts
Not sure I agree with that theory. There gonna come down either way, I just don't see a guy your age waiting when it's something you love doing now. I guess everyone has there opinions tho. Fortunately I have several thousand large rifle primers and it's mostly what I shoot. I have a few thousand magnums so I'm good for a couple barrels anyway.
Who' s waiting?

For me - there really isn' t an ammo shortage.

I just am not buying any - now.

But I have enough I can go shoot every day. I can also reload every day if I feel like it.

I stocked up - years ago.

Why? Because ammo is just like gasoline. Prices ARE going to fluctuate - wildly.

I prefer buying my preferences at the lowest prices - rather than panicing and buying whatever is available at inflated prices.

I also bought steel ammo cans - when they were 7 bucks per. (I only paid 3 - with employee' s discount)

Ammo kept in a sealed container will outlast all of us....

·
Registered
39,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Do any of you honestly believe the low and poverty level people are reloading ammo for recreational shooting? That is not the demographic that enjoys the shooting sports. That whole segment can be eliminated from any discussion. How many shooting ranges and hunting opportunities fall within public transportation of the poor? Using average income vs median income/net worth paints a more true picture of those participating in the shooting sports.

·
44,250 Posts
Do any of you honestly believe the low and poverty level people are reloading ammo for recreational shooting? That is not the demographic that enjoys the shooting sports. That whole segment can be eliminated from any discussion. How many shooting ranges and hunting opportunities fall within public transportation of the poor? Using average income vs median income/net worth paints a more true picture of those participating in the shooting sports.
That's not what was said (i was simply giving you guys a hard time), but I do agree with you on who is doing the shooting.

Even using average, your math is off. And for Michigan the average is fairly low.

·
Registered
39,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
That's not what was said (i was simply giving you guys a hard time), but I do agree with you on who is doing the shooting.

Even using average, your math is off. And for Michigan the average is fairly low.
Again look at the demographic. Better yet take a trip to the local gun club. Retirees are well represented up here. At typical league day the lot holds 25 trucks with an estimated value of maybe a million. If I run over to Harbor to shoot with friends that lot could reach that same threshold with 20 or less cars and trucks. Most are collecting SSI. That’s who is doing the shooting, not the kids, women or poor you are trying to include in your calculations.

We just had our Friends of the NRA banquet last night in town. There was a lot of money dropped from retirees on SSI.

·
44,250 Posts
Again look at the demographic. Better yet take a trip to the local gun club. Retirees are well represented up here. At typical league day the lot holds 25 trucks with an estimated value of maybe a million. If I run over to Harbor to shoot with friends that lot could reach that same threshold with 20 or less cars and trucks. Most are collecting SSI. That’s who is doing the shooting, not the kids, women or poor you are trying to include in your calculations.

We just had our Friends of the NRA banquet last night in town. There was a lot of money dropped from retirees on SSI.
I pointed out that SSI income jumped significantly more than the average working American's income on a percentage basis. Now you're squirming out of that fact like pescy would.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts