Registered
39,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Target Sports has them in stock with free shipping. Case of 5000 $599.00

·
Registered
39,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn’t say they were cheap just available. I felt I was over paying for Remington 7-1/2 a couple years ago but didn’t care. I would rather be looking at them vs for them. A firearm without ammo is just an expensive club.

·
Registered
39,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope. What was the SS increase? 5.9%?

Most raises I've heard about in MI were on the order of 3-4% avg.
What if SSI only represents 20% or less of your income? It’s only a supplement and was never intended to be all your retirement income.

·
Registered
39,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
What if? Then the boomers buy up all the $600/5000 primers because the avg Joe can't afford to shoot anymore.

Just pushing buttons 🤪
I guess you have not been keeping up with the news. The greatest transfer of wealth in the history of the US has already began. Instead in of earning a living the following generations will be handed $35T their forefathers earned. It’s no wonder why they are referred to as the entitlement generation. Since it’s basically free it’s no wonder why they can afford prices that are 17 times higher. ;)

·
Registered
39,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Doesn't change the fact that those on SS got a bigger raise than the average working American.
For most Americans SSI is only a portion of income. It is probably is only a 1% or less raise on retirement income while those working received 3-4 times more. Inflation is probably 8%.

Reactions: LGB

·
Registered
39,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Do any of you honestly believe the low and poverty level people are reloading ammo for recreational shooting? That is not the demographic that enjoys the shooting sports. That whole segment can be eliminated from any discussion. How many shooting ranges and hunting opportunities fall within public transportation of the poor? Using average income vs median income/net worth paints a more true picture of those participating in the shooting sports.

·
Registered
39,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
That's not what was said (i was simply giving you guys a hard time), but I do agree with you on who is doing the shooting.

Even using average, your math is off. And for Michigan the average is fairly low.
Again look at the demographic. Better yet take a trip to the local gun club. Retirees are well represented up here. At typical league day the lot holds 25 trucks with an estimated value of maybe a million. If I run over to Harbor to shoot with friends that lot could reach that same threshold with 20 or less cars and trucks. Most are collecting SSI. That’s who is doing the shooting, not the kids, women or poor you are trying to include in your calculations.

We just had our Friends of the NRA banquet last night in town. There was a lot of money dropped from retirees on SSI.

·
Registered
39,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I pointed out that SSI income jumped significantly more than the average working American's income on a percentage basis. Now you're squirming out of that fact like pescy would.
Don’t forget you also posted about 17x. Short memory? Need a link?

Reactions: LGB

·
Registered
39,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
You must not know many of us po' folk.

The guys I know who reload the most have the least disposable income.

Reloading on the cheap is an artform.

Range brass -hand cast bullets - and 8 lbs of Red Dot keeps me shooting.

I could not afford factory ammo. The only factory stuff I have bought in years is .22 LR.
You would be correct, I had to work in the ghetto but chose to not make it my mission to befriend the residents. I know mostly middle class along with in the upper class retiree category. Most fall into the 4-5 digit monthly income range but a few are 6 figure successful men only one is light years ahead of the rest of us. Even the high enders collect their SSI benefits.

·
Registered
39,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I got into hand loading around 1980. I thought it would save me money in the long run. I found out I was wrong. I shot probably 10 times more because I rolled my own and always had a plentiful supply. There was never a worry on matching multiple boxes of factory ammo after that.

Soon after Sandy Hook I took a couple of bricks of 22 Thunderbolts to SSL auctions when I was picking up a Remington 700mls to convert to a custom smokeless muzzleloader. I peeled the $9.99 Kmart sticker off. I was hoping to offset the purchase of the ML a bit. To my surprise I cleared over $100/brick. Needless to say next trip north was to my camps and cottages to deplete my new old stock of thunderbolt ammo and dropped them off in Flint. That first sale was a fluke price wise but getting rid of 20-30 year old 22lr funded most of the cost of a custom rifle. As Churchill once said never let a good crisis go to waste.

Reactions: sureshot006
1 - 12 of 12 Posts