Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yes I paid $30-32/1000 last time. So not 17x what I paid before but rather 4x. Excuse my exaggeration lol
No, it's frustrating for sure. I get it. Retirement income isn't for these kinds of increases, that's for sure. Not for how much I like to shoot. My 100-150 rounds per range session are now 40-60. Not something I like to have to do.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Nope. What was the SS increase? 5.9%?

Most raises I've heard about in MI were on the order of 3-4% avg.

View attachment 831490
Yep I think 5.9% was the SS increase. For those not getting SS yet and retired with a fixed pension, there aren't any increases. Zero. Not complaining cause it wouldn't help if I did anyway but smart shopping helps. I buy alot of my reloading stuff from sellers not needing what they have. Usually a bit less money but not nearly what it once was.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It does look like primers and powder have dropped a bit in price. There also showing up in stores but go fast once they arrive. I've so red on primers and powder at Sportsman's warehouse the day they get shipments in. Powder was 50.00 lb. Primers were 89.99. I think they'll drop more once the supply builds back up and when demand drops a little. What bothers me more is that the cost of factory loaded ammunition is less than loading 20 rounds at today's costs of powder, brass, bullets and primers. 3.85 per round for me to load the 300PRC. I can buy a 20 round box of Precision Hunter ammo for the 300PRC for 65-70.00. Costs me 77.00 to load 20 rounds today. That's not right.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've been paying right around 75 bucks a thousand. Try using shootingbot.com they send you email alerts you just have to be ready when they email you. Only have a few minutes before they sell out.
I'm on no less than a dozen suppliers in stock email alerts. When I get the alert, most times they are gone already. I've got lucky a couple times. I have better luck in stores.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If you don't have primers or powder it's because you didn't learn anything the last time we went through the same thing.. Sure the numbers are worse. However you all had time to get what you needed. I'm likely to die before I run out of components. I didn't hoard when things were bad. I bought in times of plenty. I also bought when prices were low at local stores.. I really don't have a lot of sympathy for the unprepared.. YMMV .
Mostly correct but if your a guy that didn't use magnum primers and had no reason to buy them, you won't find them all that easy today. That's the case with me. I haven't shot magnums much for several years and the last two years I built a 338 LM improved and a 300 PRC Improved. I had loaded ammo for my previous magnums and didn't need any primers. I have 3000 mag primers so not out but usually I have 6-8K in whatever size I use. I'll get some way before I run out.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Williams gunsight has been failry stocked with 209 and small rifle primers the last 3 times I have been there. For rifle they have CCI and Winchester brand. For shotgun CCI and Cheddite. Limit 500.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Sportsman's warehouse gets standard rifle in small and large also regularly. It's the small and large magnums that seem slow to show up

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Uh huh...

A 6% raise on starvation level income isn' t making anybody fat and happy.....
Yep. Considering all the starting wage jobs out there have gone from 8-9.00 per hour to 12-16.00, I'd say that 5.9% in SS raise isn't even close to the increases the minimum wage people are getting today. On top of that, restaurant meals have increased 40% from it. Sure don't help the retiree's one bit.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
People just don' t learn.

They buy when prices are high. This encourages gouging. I strongly suspect some gun shops are leaving the piles of primers in the back room - then putting them out a box or two at a time. They encourage panic buying.

Primers are not perishable guys. Keep them out of the mud and they will be good your entire lifetime.

The ONLY way prices are going to come back down is if the panic monkeys chill out and quit paying the huge money....
Yep true but if you want to shoot today, there's really no choice. Most older shooters don't want to wait till there about dead before buying primers. At this point in my life, I'm not waiting for anything if I can find it now. You young guys can if you chose but life's too short to sit around 3,4,5 years maybe more before **** comes back down.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
"You young guys"?

Try I have been retired since 1999.....

The prices will stay up as long as people keep buying. Stop paying the vig and prices will return to normal very quickly.
Not sure I agree with that theory. There gonna come down either way, I just don't see a guy your age waiting when it's something you love doing now. I guess everyone has there opinions tho. Fortunately I have several thousand large rifle primers and it's mostly what I shoot. I have a few thousand magnums so I'm good for a couple barrels anyway.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You must not know many of us po' folk.

The guys I know who reload the most have the least disposable income.

Reloading on the cheap is an artform.

Range brass -hand cast bullets - and 8 lbs of Red Dot keeps me shooting.

I could not afford factory ammo. The only factory stuff I have bought in years is .22 LR.
Right now it cost more to reload than buy loaded ammo if you don't have components and have to start doing it today.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I would have to do the math...

Of course - it is dumb not to.

I guess a lot of guys go out and buy all new equipment and a couple lbs of powder, 100l bullets and primers and go to work.

Not me. I started out very small - borrowing equipment - buying used - and buying powder and primers at estate sales, garage sales - and ads in the newspaper ( pre internet) I took cast off ammo - from guys who did poor loading and didn' t trust the loads. I used an inertial puller and took apart thousands of rounds over the years for components. I scrounged. I scrimped. I saved. I bought powder in bulk. ( Who remembers 2230C - reclaimed milsurp powder for $60 an 8 lbs can? - I still shoot that stuff in .223 and 30-06..) I bought pull bullets by thelbs.l

Like I said - doing it on the cheap is an artform. But it all starts with doing the math and knowing what it will cost you.
For me it's cheaper as all my components were bought years ago. I did the math as I posted earlier. To load a 300PRC round, it's 3.70+. One 20 round box for Hornady 300PRC same bullet costs 60.00 or 3.00 per round. Obviously brass is usable for future loading but to start out today, cost is higher to reload.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I got into hand loading around 1980. I thought it would save me money in the long run. I found out I was wrong. I shot probably 10 times more because I rolled my own and always had a plentiful supply. There was never a worry on matching multiple boxes of factory ammo after that.

Soon after Sandy Hook I took a couple of bricks of 22 Thunderbolts to SSL auctions when I was picking up a Remington 700mls to convert to a custom smokeless muzzleloader. I peeled the $9.99 Kmart sticker off. I was hoping to offset the purchase of the ML a bit. To my surprise I cleared over $100/brick. Needless to say next trip north was to my camps and cottages to deplete my new old stock of thunderbolt ammo and dropped them off in Flint. That first sale was a fluke price wise but getting rid of 20-30 year old 22lr funded most of the cost of a custom rifle. As Churchill once said never let a good crisis go to waste.
Reloading save me 200% vs factory ammo for years. Much cheaper no doubt before all the price increases. I started with shotgun shells when lead shot was legal for waterfowl. Big savings there then when they banned lead shot, I stopped loading. Pistol and rifle reloading really saved me money for years but today it's reversed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts