Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Every year at this time, I try to get the word out to our patrons to prevent dogs of all ages from being traumatized and messed up by the loud FIREWORKS. Especially puppies and adolescents that are in their FEAR PERIODS where anything very scary for them can make a lifetime impression.

Please keep them indoors with moderate music or the TV on in order to try to muffle the firework noises, if at all possible.

Below is a link to an old thread about the dangers of FIREWORKS for your gun dogs. All of the advice still makes sense this year:

That time of year... - The Michigan Sportsman Forums

·
Premium Member
5,827 Posts
This post is about two weeks late. :lol:
I hate fireworks. :rant:
:yeahthat::yeahthat:

Posted this on another MS forum:

Fireworks are a lot like second hand smoke. Those that want no part of it are those most likely to be unable to avoid it - and the primary users are those most likely to not give a s--t about anyone else.

Heaven forbid that these masturbating, easily entertained , pyro-maniac, window rattling morons should actually sit down with a book (Federalist Papers) or a video ( The Patriot, Saving Private Ryan, Flags of Our Fathers) and the like and learn and perhaps in the process teach others - like their children - the REAL MEANING of 7/4/1776 and here's a hint - IT'S NOT ABOUT FIREWORKS OR A PAID DAY OFF OF WORK .

Hoppe's no.10

·
Registered
471 Posts
We were up north this weekend with our dog and friends and their dog. There were fireworks going off all over the place. Its amazing how afraid two gundogs can be of fireworks.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Fireworks have always been part of 4th of July since 1777. Philadelphia was the first city to have fireworks celebrating Independence Day. The fireworks started off with thirteen rockets symbolizing the new 13 states. The actually signing of the deceleration was in August 1776 not July. What were those masturbating, easily entertained, pyro-maniac window rattling moron colonist that fought and died for our independence thinking?

·
Premium Member
5,827 Posts
Fireworks have always been part of 4th of July since 1777. Philadelphia was the first city to have fireworks celebrating Independence Day. The fireworks started off with thirteen rockets symbolizing the new 13 states. The actually signing of the deceleration* was in August 1776 not July. What were those masturbating, easily entertained, pyro-maniac window rattling moron colonist that fought and died for our independence thinking?
Scaring the hell out of other people's bird dogs perhaps?

Hoppe's no.10

*deceleration?

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Why is it people who are not stable enough to own their own home spend every last penny of their unemployment check on fireworks?
I knew I was in trouble this year when I found out my neighbor two doors down left in the dark of night and has since rented his home.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I knew I was in trouble this year when I found out my neighbor two doors down left in the dark of night and has since rented his home.
I've got one of those too!

Two of mine are actually very intrigued with fireworks, just associating the noise with hunting/trialing/birds. Another is pretty much indifferent, and the last is terrified, and ironically, is deaf (I think she feels the vibration).

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
I've got one of those too!

Two of mine are actually very intrigued with fireworks, just associating the noise with hunting/trialing/birds. Another is pretty much indifferent, and the last is terrified, and ironically, is deaf (I think she feels the vibration).
Same here Mike, a variety of reactions.
My Pointer runs to the window and wants outside, My aging setter gets nervous. He was never like that early in his life but like you I think he has lost some hearing after 9 years of gunfire in the field and simply age. The whistling ones get to him the worst.

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
I am lucky mine just sleep through it but I have a neighbor that shoots them off year round so they get used to it
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Two of mine will just want to stay inside and shiver through the whole thing (they'll spend this evening in the basement with some music on). I've got another than runs towards the fireworks barking, tail high in the air (go figure). He'll spend the evening in the basement too just to be safe.

All this said, since moving to a more rural area I've noticed that over time the dogs are getting more used to such noises since everyone and his uncle here either target shoots or pops off the occasional firework.

The whistling fireworks are what freak mine out. The booms aren't so bad.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Why is it people who are not stable enough to own their own home spend every last penny of their unemployment check on fireworks?
So people who rent are unstable and on unemployment. And if you have renters in your neighborhood you're in trouble. I gotta believe there are people in the world who simply like fireworks better than bird dogs. Granted, I'm not one of them. I'm also fairly certain that there are veterans who've given much service and sacrifice for our freedoms
whom are also renters and whom also prefer fireworks to bird dogs. Anybody have any HUMAN children or babies that are afraid of fireworks, loud booms, loud whisling. Or maybe even dogs or gun fire?Homeowner mentality......entitlement?
Complaining about freedom on independence day....ridiculous?

·
Registered
332 Posts
:yeahthat::yeahthat:

Posted this on another MS forum:

Fireworks are a lot like second hand smoke. Those that want no part of it are those most likely to be unable to avoid it - and the primary users are those most likely to not give a s--t about anyone else.

Heaven forbid that these masturbating, easily entertained , pyro-maniac, window rattling morons should actually sit down with a book (Federalist Papers) or a video ( The Patriot, Saving Private Ryan, Flags of Our Fathers) and the like and learn and perhaps in the process teach others - like their children - the REAL MEANING of 7/4/1776 and here's a hint - IT'S NOT ABOUT FIREWORKS OR A PAID DAY OFF OF WORK .

Hoppe's no.10
Heaven forbid the veterans and service people currently serving in our armed forces and active duty to maintain our freedom...... whom also happen to enjoy fireworks! Maybe you could contact those morons and let them know the real meaning of independence day.:dizzy: Pulling things out of your ass can also be considered a form of masturbating. Start with your head and give it a try.

·
Premium Member
5,827 Posts
Heaven forbid the veterans and service people currently serving in our armed forces and active duty to maintain our freedom...... whom also happen to enjoy fireworks! Maybe you could contact those morons and let them know the real meaning of independence day.:dizzy: Pulling things out of your ass can also be considered a form of masturbating. Start with your head and give it a try.
I was only using "masturbating" as a metaphor. If I offended any of those who indulge please accept my apologies.

Hoppe's no.10

P.S. The real meaning of Independence Day has nothing to do with fireworks, bird dogs or military veterans but rather the relationship between the citizenry and the state. For any who are interested in pursuing this I suggest Jean- Jacques Rousseau's The Social Contract or Principles of Political Right as a good place to start.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Maddie (EP) loses it. Nothing terrible, but whines and is generally nervous.

Connie (GSP mix) loves every minute of it. From the first boom of the night to the last, her nose is on the ground searching for a dead bird.

Given her hunting history with me, I'm not sure how she'd form that association (boom=dead bird), but it's entertaining nonetheless.

KW

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Seems you are getting to comfortable under your blanket of freedom that veterans like me provide for you. Your complaining about fireworks? Most of us can't participate in a Division run because the random cannon fire scares the **** out of us ( I wonder why?) With that being said we are still going to enjoy ourselves and hopefully blow some crap up..that's our form of masturbating..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts