Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may recall that I put away all my canine traps and have
started my first water trapping endeavor. I am targetting mink on the
streams around my house.

Well, exactly one week ago, I set 4 footholds and 2 conibears on a creek
about 1/2-mile away. Back in October, Mallard joined me on my trapline
(we caught a coyote that morning) and on the way back, he helped me
scout and qualify the various mink spots I had found during summer. We
actually saw a big mink while we looked at this particular creek.

Well tonight after work, checking my 6 traps by headlamp, I found my
very first mink in the last trap...

I set this natural cave / undercut with a 110-conibear that I painted
for dry sets, because thats all I had. I think black or brown would have
been a better color but hey...I'm just a beginner and I only have three
conibears :) I set this trap totally submerged under water and guarding
the entrance to the natural "cave" with a couple of guide sticks.

When I got home, I took a couple more pics for documentation of my
very first mink. Its a male and wieghs 2-pounds on my digital scale.

This success has given me a boost of confidence, and I'll be setting
a couple of new spots this coming weekend.

-NC

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Congrats!!!! That is an excellent looking mink. Looks like it's a chocolate.

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Congratulations Northcountry!

How exciting!!!!

You will always remember your first mink! And a beautiful large buck mink besides!

My first mink was a small female I caught in small feeder stream in a #1 longspring just by the toes. I was 12 years old and only had a very few traps, but I talked my dad into driving me out to check this trap after work, even thou I had checked in the morning. It was fortunate that I did because I caught this mink during the day only by a couple of toes and it would have gotten away if I had waited until the next morning. I did not understand how to make a drowning set and beside the water was only a few inches deep.

Boy was I a happy and excited trapper!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Although I am not a trapper I still enjoy coming in here just to see what you and Duncan have caught.

I must say, I do enjoy both of your storys very much and the great pics you two guys take.
Very nice and Congrats on your first mink.
Both of you keep up the great storys and pictures. It gives me something more to look foward too.;)

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
Great Job!! what a great looking mink. Boy i miss that stuff. Never really thoght much about it for quite a few years but after you guys posting all those great pics this year....I MISS IT!!

-Bob:)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comments.

Blueracer, I am obviously not an authority on mink trapping, but there is a pretty solid concensus on what is good mink bait... very fresh fish and muskrat meat. Also, there are plenty of mink lures out there. However, many...if not most...mink sets use no bait or lure of any kind. Some of the most productive mink trappers around the country, never use a drop of lure or bait on their line.

As for me, I dont have alot of confidence yet, so am trying to cover both bases. I set this particular conibear underwater and guarding a natural cave, which the mink would want to explore. But, I also poked a twig in some lure and stabbed it into the roof of the cave, above water. Since the mink was caught swimming under the surface, I doubt that the lure came into play....but who knows?

-NC

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
TradeMark,

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Things are a little slow on my trapline right now, but I expect to be doing some beaver trapping shortly, so I hope to have some interesting photos of this trapline, soon.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Congrats NC,

I'm still hopin to get one of my own this year, hopefully it'll be a big buck like yours. good work and keep those pics comin

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Congrats, I am looking for a white mink if you guys ever get one.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I remember my fisrt mink. The trap was set completely under water, under a log that had fallen over the creek, I guess the mink found it easier to dive under the log, than crawl over the 8" that was above the waterline. Man, I didn't even have a drivers license then, and was checking my line by bicycle.

·
Registered
441 Posts
hey the mink looks great good luck on future trap lines!:chillin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts