Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my small mink line today at lunch, and finally caught something interesting....my first ermine!

I had a 1-1/2 longspring (given to me by Skeeter....I told you I would put them to good use!) placed under a small foot bridge, crossing a creek. I had smeared some Lenons mink lure on the dirt "abutment" under the bridge, and placed the trap next to it, along with a few guide sticks.

Pure luck I'm sure...and this is the way I hear that most people catch them, as incidentals on the mink line. Heck, I dont even have my weasel box out right now....but I will set it under this bridge on the next check.

Cute little bugger, aint he? :) I would have liked to clean the frozen, muddy water from his fur before taking the pics....but didnt want to risk pulling any fur out along with the ice.

-NC

·
Premium Member
6,244 Posts
Northcountry,

Please excuse my ignorance but I am not a trapper. Is that the normal color of those ermine? Also is an ermine a weasle?

Congrat's on your catch...........if that's the right term. :)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deepwoods,

Yes, this is a short-tailed weasel with its winter coat....which is called ermine.

Look further down the forum posts (I think on Page-2?) for an informative post about ermine biology and trapping.

-NC

·
Premium Member
6,244 Posts
Thanks. I will look that up. I am always trying to learn. The key word in that is trying. :dizzy:

·
Registered
441 Posts
nuce job nc i have been waiting to see a pic of an ermine on here:chillin:

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
That Poor little guy he looks Kinda cold and stiff.....LMAO That is a great nice little catch (no pun intended) for you efforts.....It kind of nice getting your Christmas present a little early....Good Work....Mack

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Those things are cool I use to see them every once in awhile years ago while deer hunting in the swamps of lower Mich . Haven't seen one in years though . Very neet looking creature Thanks for sharing ...

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
thanks for sharing. you guys have really got the trapping forum rolling this year. thanks for that to. i enjoy the post in here for sure. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts