Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna try some catfishing on the River. Never had tried 2 target em on the D but gonna give it A few trys this summer. Used 2 hit the hot hole & kill em but don't care much for the scenery 2 much. Wanna start Mid River & was thinking maybe around the 80" mill discharge or BASF wall area or possibly the Rouge mouth where they park the truck ferry not the main mouth. I know some spots on Queens side that can B good 4 Cats but don't have spotlock & will B tossing Anchor so can't hit that side. Any suggestions R welcome. Thanks..

·
Registered
321 Posts
I don’t have a lot to say other than just an FYI that they’re on the Do Not Eat list. Had one guys
give me one when I fished the shore (a very rare thing for me) in Ecorse. Also caught a nice one on the south part of the steel wall in front of BASF. Another last year just north of the pay bridge. They’re fun for sure, but don’t know why you’d target them over any of the other fun fish when you shouldn’t eat them

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Ain't gonna eat any. That's what Walleye is for. Just like catching em.
They fight like a mother!!..I got it right 3 times in a row calling it’s a catfish…but they also usually get a line or 2 in a tangle mess then they roll in net..I thought about packing a 22 pistol just for them..

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ya, I guess it’s just easier to go for sheep which also put up a real fun fight. Not many big fish that fight pound for pound better than sheep and they’re way more common. I guess thinking about it though, I’m not sure how to specifically target them since I’m not sure anyone in the history of humanity ever has.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Ya, I guess it’s just easier to go for sheep which also put up a real fun fight. Not many big fish that fight pound for pound better than sheep and they’re way more common. I guess thinking about it though, I’m not sure how to specifically target them since I’m not sure anyone in the history of humanity ever has.
If U dragging snails//clams u are sheep head slash cat fishing

·
Registered
13,819 Posts
Drum fight really well on walleye gear, but if you are using heavier stuff like you would when targeting catfish (or bigger fish), they tend to give up pretty early in the fight. At least that's my experience.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I do, sheep will hit a ton of different presentations. The only key thing is to be fishing bottom. I like using blade baits out in the lake, casting and vertical jigging.

·
Registered
15,604 Posts
I caught a good sized channel cat, trolling out of Sterling for Walleyes, a few years ago. I'd guess the weight close to 15#. It totally mangled the hooks, and split rings on the lure. Literally 3 strong treble hooks, and 3 split rings were destroyed. Funny, the next year I absently put that Bandit back out (Chrome/Blue, right?), and went the longest time on an outside line without a bite. I brought it in to check, and realized no hooks! But it had teeth marks all over it, lol. I put another out with hooks, and had a fish within a couple minutes. I wonder how many Walleyes I missed using a lure with no hooks? :D

I've never fished the Detroit River for Catfish, but I've caught some jigging for Walleyes. All Channel cats. I have to think there are some bruiser Flats in there, but no idea where you'd find them. Maybe tucked away in side channels? Flatheads love Bluegills.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Had to look in my log book, but we tried a few times & hit them pretty good July 12 2017, lol....WT was 71`....we anchored in MI water on a channel bank in 20 fow....in 4 hours we landed 10 Cats with the biggest 7.5 lbs....one came on chicken liver, rest on worms....it was a blast anchored out....

We've hit them a few times over a few years and then missed them other years....nothing special about the bank we were on, other than it was not the main shipping channel, I know I posted a report, might have more detail but not sure if or how ya can look up reports from 2017, lol....it seems to be a hit & miss thing for us....cheers....

Reactions: 48180 Hunter
1 - 11 of 11 Posts