Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum. Love fishing Lake Erie for perch and walleye but can someone tell me where is the best spot (on Erie) to target catfish?? My son has never caught one but really wants to.

Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
20,772 Posts
We've been doing quite well inside the River Raisin using cut bait and a good friend who fishes several tourneys insists that the new record is swimming inside the Hot Hole

Some of my dock neighbors fish the Intake and do quite well

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ive caught hundreds in the hothole. there are alot in there ive personally never ate one out of there but there are alot in there. The reason ive never ate one from there is that the water in there is pretty warm and when i cleaned one the meat was really mushy. I just catch and release in there

·
Super Moderator
20,772 Posts
Ive caught hundreds in the hothole. there are alot in there ive personally never ate one out of there but there are alot in there. The reason ive never ate one from there is that the water in there is pretty warm and when i cleaned one the meat was really mushy. I just catch and release in there
Same here, all C&R

Lots of contaminants, although most appear to be quite clean. Got a 12# blue last week right off my dock. Fought like the devil... :D

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
We catch tons of 'em between Kellys and Middle Island. Real nice healthy fish about 18" average size, but with an occasional fish bettering 10 lbs. I have never seen there a real giant like I used to occasionally get east of Cleveland (>20 lbs). We often keep the ones under 18" for dinner. They are very good.

·
Super Moderator
20,772 Posts
It's just south of the Raisin Mouth. The Raisin is along the top right corner of the picture.

Do note the angle of the boat running at the entrance!!!!! Any short cuts will leave you aground

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yep go to the Hot hole....Launch out of bolles harbor it is just right around the corner from there. Use raw shrimp....You will hammer on em...

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Are the cats still in there this time of year? Think I might go try it for a little fun

·
Super Moderator
20,772 Posts
I have done well in there in May, however, I tried it in July a couple years back and caught nothing. The water out by the mouth was 96 degrees! Like bath water. It would be awesome in there in the winter, however, you can't get to it very easily. Too bad there isn't a ramp back in there.
According to a few within our marina, the new stacks have reduced the temperature. From what I gathered last weekend, it was colder in the pond than the lake. I find it hard to believe, but they should know (they were swimming/tubing in it)

Might have just been a partial shut-down for maintenance. (Although so far only one of the new stacks is blowing smoke)

Winters have always been a treat, but the amount of Shad will feed the prey in a matter of minutes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts