Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 sets in this area and 2 have went untouched but this one has produced a pair of gray fox and this guy!

He is held by 3 toes in a sleepy creek 1 1/2.

Always fun letting these guys go!

Wife wouldn't reach down there and take the trap off wonder why:lol:

And here he is free and unharmed! He was the coolest looking tom I have had the pleasure to catch this far!

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
Very nice, it's a shame you couldn't kep him.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!! I wish I could have added him to my collection. He was the biggest Ive seen so far.

I'm not sure why we have such a short season? When I used to set 20 or so yote sets out I used to catch 4 or 5 bobcats a year. I do not believe the dnr knows how many there are out there. I only have 3 sets out and connected with him. Hope I can wack a yote or two before freeze up.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
damn! sure looks calm in the last picture. did him jump in the pick up and drive home with ya after??

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
a good way to release a bobcat is to use a grash can that u can put over it then u can release it away from u don;t have to worry about it coming after you

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Wife wouldn't reach down there and take the trap off wonder why:lol:

She was probley pissed cause the cat had long nails then her.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Good job with the release, thanks for sharing it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
a good way to release a bobcat is to use a grash can that u can put over it then u can release it away from u don;t have to worry about it coming after you

I have never been to worried about them coming after me after a release. They really seem to freeze up after I get the trap off. I literally did a remake with a large tom that I had released setting ten feet away once. He would not leave. I don't think they know they are free. Next to a badger they are the meanest critter on the end of a chain though! Had a kit about rip my face off once. I had her in a mink trap and she had went into the culvert. When I seen it was a cat I thought it was a domestic cat so I grabbed the chain and pulled. Bad idea she came flying out of the culvert growling and dang near swatted me! No prob jeff I thought you guys would enjoy this thread. Thanks!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thanks guys!! I wish I could have added him to my collection. He was the biggest Ive seen so far.

I'm not sure why we have such a short season? When I used to set 20 or so yote sets out I used to catch 4 or 5 bobcats a year. I do not believe the dnr knows how many there are out there. I only have 3 sets out and connected with him. Hope I can wack a yote or two before freeze up.
Take the time to report all bobcat catches to the DNR that is the best way to get the season and area's increased.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've called them every time I caught a cat for 5-6 years, it don't do any good. One time they even told me to move my traps somewhere else, so I wouldn't catch any more there.
You need to get the info to Adam Bump the DNR furbearer biologist. I had a conversation with him at convention and he needs input from catches to make changes. It is also important to fill out the trapping survey if you get one.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
That last picture has screen saver wrote all over it........Great post, and good job on the release......Mack

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
One of the best post's I have read on here. You trappers never cease to amaze me. Top notch outdoorsman! I spend a lot of time in wilderness area's of the yoop and figure I am a pretty good woodsman, pfffft, I got nothing on you guys. Keep up the good work, I love reading this kind of stuff.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts