Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently started fishing St.Clair for Muskie. I've noticed that the majority of Muskie fisherman prefer to troll on the lake. I casted mostly when fishing for Muskie

What do you members recommend??

Thanks

Jay

·
Registered
692 Posts
Being that there 300,000 surface acres on Lake St.Clair I prefer to troll.

More lines,more lures,more area covered.. Plus if I want to cast for fish I will cast at the end of my Marina in the fall and catch them(Musky) while fishing for Walleye.. I often hook into one or two a night.. Every now and then I land one.. Obviously she or he goes back right away..

I really enjoy supporting the Oil Cartel and their fleecing of America.. So thats why I troll.. :lol:

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
In addition to the reasons mentioned above, another reason I like trolling is more precise control of depth and speed, especially if you're fishing somewhere in the middle of the water column. Important in places like the shipping channels, where big fish are often suspended in relatively deep water.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Casting allows you to fish some shallower water, structure and weeds that you just can't fish while trolling. Anchor bay gets too weedy to troll effectively but it does hold fish all year. There is nothing like having a muskie follow and hit at boatside. You will catch more fish while trolling which is the best method for the open waters of the main lake. Just throw your casting rod in the boat with your trolling gear and if you need a change of pace you can switch. Most of the muskie baits used for trolling cast very well. Lizajane makes a good point about the cost of trolling vs casting as well. I typically will use 12 to 15 gallons of fuel per trolling trip on my boat. That is expensive fishing. I can cast all day for alot less.

·
H. O. F. Legendary Guide
196 Posts
I like most of you trolled for years but I really like casting as to me it is a lot more fun and a heck of a lot cheaper. Like treeman said there is nothing like a monster Muskie hitting a bait at boatside. Good Fishing All. Bob

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Lizajane makes a good point about the cost of trolling vs casting as well. I typically will use 12 to 15 gallons of fuel per trolling trip on my boat. That is expensive fishing. I can cast all day for alot less.
Bloody 'ell! I'd mostly cast or jig if I ran through that much gas. :eek:

Makes me glad I have a measly 14 ft boat and 5 hp motor! Burns no more than 2 gallons on a long day of trolling almost full throttle.

How would you guys cast in the channels? I've marked some dense concentrations of big fish in the channels in the lower half of the water column in about 30 feet of water. Even with a half pound of weight it's hard to work a lure fast at such depths. Jigging may be the only way to work it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.