Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the spots I have seen on musky fishing in LSC is about trolling. Does not casting work for these big ones? From what I hear about the number of big fish there, and the catch and release emphasis, seems like their should be quite a few fish/acre/sq mile.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Frenchriver1, there are literally thousands of spots throughout the St. Clair system where you can successfully cast for muskies. This includes the river systems on all sides of the lake. Anchor Bay can be especially productive due to its shallow nature and abundance of weed cover in key areas. Another well known area is the Dumping Grounds NE of the mouth of the Detroit River. There are hundreds of muskies caught in this area every season by casters and trollers alike.

I've done well over the years trolling and casting but frankly, I prefer the exciting moment when casting and your lure comes to a grinding halt as a good sized muskie slams your bait and tries to rip the rod right out of your hand.

The big girls fifty inches and over that you hear the trollers brag about are readily available to casters as well. I know because I've seen them first hand. In order to learn the best spots, I suggest you consider several options;
  • first, go to the winter fishing shows around Detroit and attend the musky seminars. Look for Bob Brunner - He's been casting St.Clair since before most of us were born. He has written several paperback books on musky casting the Lake and includes maps with some of his writings
  • second, consider hiring a guide to take you around the lake and show you different productive locations. I could recommend several but suggest you check out some of the previous threads on this site that have already covered this topic extensively. You may also want to Google Lake St. Clair and Detroit River musky guides. You'll get a number of sites you can check out.
  • third, make sure you spend time casting during prime periods, especially the first three weeks of the season when muskies are shallow and on the post-spawn feeding binge. Hopefully, you have the freedom to plan your trips out during some of the better periods. This will undoubtedly improve your catch ratio.
  • Perhaps most important, be willing to invest the better part of the day once you do get out. I say this because this system, like so many natural fisheries, has feeding windows that will open from time to time throughout the day. You don't want to fish for say two hours and give up because you haven't had the first follow. A feeding window may open as soon as you call it a day and guess what? . . . You just missed out on some great action.
I could go on and on but I think I've given you plenty to consider. Oh, one other thing, I highly recommend you join a local musky club. I know there is a new Muskie, Inc. chapter forming in Detroit. There is no quicker way to learn than through the experience of others. Most guys who join M.I. are squared away and willing to share information with less experienced anglers. I know the M.I. Chapter I belong to is full of top notch musky hunters and we all gladly share what we know with new members.

It's a hell of a lot easier today to get good at this sport in a hurry than it was for me and some of the others who learned the hard way . . . by trial and error over many years. I know, I've been chasing muskies for more than 30 years. Boards such as this one and the good people who "live" here will be glad to help you out with pointers. One thing to keep in mind . . . once you begin to hit the water next season and beyond, don't forget to let all of us know how you are doing . . . sharing our experiences will make us all better anglers.

Geoff

·
H. O. F. Legendary Guide
195 Posts
Musky 1 Thanks for the plug. I still have a couple of days open in June for a client myself. Of course I prefer the Bay and not the rivers but there are a lot of big fish in the Rivers and Channels. He can call me at 586-254-8209 or Email me at [email protected]. I'm talking Thursday at 4:30 Friday at 5:30 and Saturday at 11 A. M. I'm giving away a free guide trip at the Friday seminar. Merry Christmas. Bob

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Hit the middle channel in June 2nd week middle of the day...Big gold red eye should work hold on to your rod, and don't forget the camera...

·
Premium Member
12,277 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
muskiebobxr said:
Musky 1 Thanks for the plug. I still have a couple of days open in June for a client myself. Of course I prefer the Bay and not the rivers but there are a lot of big fish in the Rivers and Channels. He can call me at 586-254-8209 or Email me at [email protected]. I'm talking Thursday at 4:30 Friday at 5:30 and Saturday at 11 A. M. I'm giving away a free guide trip at the Friday seminar. Merry Christmas. Bob
Bob, you are welcome. I had a good fall in the D. River casting Sledges and doing some jigging. You may want to have some of your clients throwing them next season along with your favorites, the Brass Red Eye, Super Shad Rap, etc. Merry Christmas to you and a Happy New Year.

Geoff

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys, for the great feedback. Will have to follow up after I chow down on some Christmas goodies... Was reasonbly sure there had to be a more exciting way than dragging a lure through the water at high speed. Yep, when the lure stops hard, sometimes the heart does also...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Like Musky1 said if you can join a Musky Inc club. Michigan has chapter 47 Michigan Musky Alliance. They meet in Lansing about once a month. I noticed your from Brighton, so that might not be that far of a haul for ya. Also were just starting a branch of MMA in the lake St Clair region for Musky nuts on this side of the state. Your more then welcome to attend. We meet once a month at Gander Mt. in Shelby. If you want any info keep your eyes glued to this message board, or call me.

Jim
586-771-5425

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for all of the information you guys have posted. How do I get in touch with a MMA chapter to join. I live in Lansing and would be happy to attend the meetings. Thanks-

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts