Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on extending the length of my Boykins cast. He does the mini T well. He will take cast but doesn't continue in that direction for long before he begins searching. How do you extend the length of his cast? Simply increase the size/length of the t drill?

·
Registered
453 Posts
We condition our dogs to cast only as far as we can throw a dummy. A launcher or a buddy to throw marks will lengthen the dog out. Don't over handle the dog - let him hunt!
Stretch him out on marks and then move to the blinds.

·
Registered
572 Posts
If you're doing mini T, stretch it out to a full T. 80 to 100 yards. Put your left and right over piles out 25 yards. If you're training specifically for a blind retrieve for hunting only, that will help. Think about lining the dog up for a blind retrieve. You want to line him up as best as possible to the downed bird. Only in instances where your line might be off will he have to take an over farther than 15-20 yards.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What Stackemup said. I am finishing up Double T. 80 yards to the back pile with an over pile 30 yards from the line and 50 yards from the line. Each over pile is 20 yards from the axis. I have a few more sessions and than on to Swim by and lining drills for casts. Follow a training plan and only move on after you work the kinks out. Do Mini T than move onto Single T and Double T. Take your time getting to 80 yards. Gradually increase the distance and do 3 to 4 straight backs to every cast maybe more depending. That way the pup don't start popping and if he does you can work that out before you move on. You may know all this but thought I would put it out there. I have put a lot of time in this and its in my head. LOL. Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts