Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has done any good on crappie? i live near one of the bays and just thinking about going tomorrow. iam gonna try for some crappie and bluegill and maybe some pike! moved here last year and haven't been out there yet, i have only tried pontiac!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thats a pretty decent sized lake for this area and I'm willing to bet it is not really all that safe just yet. I have been out on that lake several times during the hard water season and have not had much luck. Last year I tried fishing the south east part of the lake off of the drops near and around Wards point without a hit. I have tried the oposite side of the lake north east side near the apartments/marina-I also did not take a hit, but on the positive note I did actually see other people fishing out there. I will give the lake another try this year and try a spot I found durning the summer near Dodge park - Can anyone tell me if they leave the public access to Dodge open during the winter??? That is where I plan on starting this year. Stay safe out there.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Can anyone tell me if they leave the public access to Dodge open during the winter???
They used to but I haven't fished there in a few years. If I remember correctly there was a sign saying you had to go to one of the houses near the entrance gate to get a parking sticker since no one manned the booth (I never got a sticker and never had a problem either:hide:). I believe the sign said it also closed at dark but when I was there, there was too much snow piled by the gate to open/close it.:confused:

As a side note, I've had absolutely ZERO luck there though I did get a tip from someone saying for panfish go basically straight out from the boat launch to the other side of the lake and you can usually get into some gills and crappie. I never did check out that spot - maybe this year:rolleyes:

·
Registered
475 Posts
They used to but I haven't fished there in a few years. If I remember correctly there was a sign saying you had to go to one of the houses near the entrance gate to get a parking sticker since no one manned the booth (I never got a sticker and never had a problem either:hide:). I believe the sign said it also closed at dark but when I was there, there was too much snow piled by the gate to open/close it.:confused:

As a side note, I've had absolutely ZERO luck there though I did get a tip from someone saying for panfish go basically straight out from the boat launch to the other side of the lake and you can usually get into some gills and crappie. I never did check out that spot - maybe this year:rolleyes:
Thanks for the info. I was planning on targeting a weed bed off of the beach that I night fished a couple of times last summer. If I come up empty I know of the launch area that you mentioned and I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

·
Registered
11,979 Posts
Can anyone tell me if they leave the public access to Dodge open during the winter??? That is where I plan on starting this year. Stay safe out there.

The boat launch and parking area to the left of it are open all winter long. The beach parking area is normally closed, but it was open yesterday. Slow day, got some perch but no walleyes. They are out there though, caught a few of them last year jigging and on tip ups.

I haven't noticed the park hours posted but when I called I got a recorded message that says they are open until dusk. I can tell you that I have been out there after dusk and have never been told to leave. I don't recall ever seeing a park vehicle going through the parking lot either.

No one is ever at the booth in the winter, but a sign says 2009 park stickers can be purchased at the office. But I have never seen anyone at the office when I attempted to purchase one there in prior years. That park is alcohol free so keep that in mind if you plan to go there.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thanks for all the info - I have a feeling that is the area I need to be in- and will venture out with in the next few weekends. I have also heard of people getting on fish on the other side of the lake the south west area where the river outlet is and having some good luck on that side of the lake, but I dont know of any public access near that area and it would be one heck of a walk. Hopefully I'll see some of you out there it is not a big canal. Tight lines.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Go out from the boat launch from the park. I have taken fish from there and another spot is the marina around the docks. alot of panfish around the marina but can be hit or miss.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Go out from the boat launch from the park. I have taken fish from there and another spot is the marina around the docks. alot of panfish around the marina but can be hit or miss.
Are you talking about the marina around the corner from the launch or the marina by the apartments???

I ventured out to check out the park this weekend and saw that someone was fishing either early in the morning or the previous evening, but the persons tracks were heading down the canal away from the lake-is this were everyone usualy fishes??? I would have thought people would be fishing more towards the lake end of the canal-any advice?? I was going to give it a try but with over a foot of fresh snow I decided to take the lazy mans way out and head to a close spot on another lake I frequent. I will also note that I was surprised at how well the park was plowed out.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i fished the by the boat lauch off to the right on last thursday. i was looking to find some crappie's but that didn't work. i picked up nice 22 inch walleye on a tip-up on a huge sucker. other than that nothing else. i tried to go to the marnia by the apartments where i live but i was alone and the ice wasn't as thick. my spud went threw after two hard hits.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i fished the by the boat lauch off to the right on last thursday. i was looking to find some crappie's but that didn't work. i picked up nice 22 inch walleye on a tip-up on a huge sucker. other than that nothing else. i tried to go to the marnia by the apartments where i live but i was alone and the ice wasn't as thick. my spud went threw after two hard hits.

Thats a nice walleye -sounds like it was well worth not finding the crappie:lol:. I'm guessing it came around dark. I will have to find some time to spend out there. Any idea on how deep that canal gets??? and how far back are people fishing out there ??? Looks like someone went way back there.

I have never had any luck at the Marina by the apartments -I fished them a few times last season when my Sister in law lived there, but I always see people fishing out there so there must be something worth while out there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
hey TB. nice job with the wally. i have fished the bay taking a right out of the launch it goes back a good half mile and gets real deep real fast. it is usually the first safe ice on cass. did well with gills in there and the pike were always around. if you can find some weeds in 10-12 ft you should have some action.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts