Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a simple answer but I dont know it, maybe you re-loaders can help?
I have been shooting the Remington express core-lokt (140 grain) thru my 7mm-08 and like them alot. I had bought a few boxes of winchester 7mm-08 rem. 140 gr. power point, because I found them real cheap on sale and as you may know 7mm-08 cartridges are not cheap. I shoot alot and thought I would save some ching although I would go back to my normal brand for hunting and just shooting after these run out. When examineing the 2 different cartridges I found there to be .120 difference in the lengths? Is this something to concern me? Do you think it may effect the POI ? The bullet length looks to be the culpret in the differential of the lengths. Thank you
Brokenarrow

·
Registered
851 Posts
As long as both are within the max overall length spec of 2.800 inches, there's nothing to be concerned about other than POI, which could very well be affected. I'd compare them at the maximum range you expect to hunt at before deciding whether they're interchangeable for your purposes.

For example, in my 6.5X55, at 100 yards, all 140 grain bullets that I've tried (loaded with the same powder and primer) pattern close enough together for me to consider them interchangeable for hunting or target.

YMMV.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
A longer length might be a better thing. The bullet might get closer to the "lands". When I reload, I always have the COL a little longer than what the books tell me. My reason is so that the bullet is just touching the lands, which increases accuracy. If you start reloading, you'll understand what I'm talking about. Oh, and if you ever do.....got a nice reload data for the 7mm-08 also :D

·
Registered
565 Posts
I don't know specifically about their 7mm-08 ammo, but most of the Winchester Power-Point bullets I've seen are almost truncated or round nosed, which would account for the shorter C. O. L.

·
592 Posts
If they are both Factory rounds don't worry about it, they are within specs.
And as for a point of impact difference, more than likely YES there will be a different POI, one is winchester brand and the other remington. you can get a different point of impact from different "Lot" of the same companys ammunition, shoot what you going to hunt with

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
POI can be greatly different. I've had 170 grain Winchester & Remington factory loads group 7" apart from each other. Always sight in when changing ammo brands, weights, or even lot numbers. The length can be different due to the actual shape of the bullet. If it cycles in the rifle, don't worry about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts