Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a good suggestion for carrying rods in the back of your truck? How do you keep them from banging around and getting damaged?

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Cut some 3"+ ID PVC to length, terminate both ends with a coupler and screw on cap. In the caps, cut some foam to size to keep the rod tip from getting broken.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cut some 3"+ ID PVC to length, terminate both ends with a coupler and screw on cap. In the caps, cut some foam to size to keep the rod tip from getting broken.
That sounds like a case for the rods. I have those.

What do you do about the reels? Do you take them off every trip?

I was hoping for a better way of laying the rod and reels in the back of the truck without taking them apart. Currently I bungee the tips against the kayak.

I was thinking of maybe the storage racks with the foam inserts. A second thought is PVC cut in half lengthwise and fastened to a board. Then I can just lay the rods in the pvc and use a bungee to hold them in place without having to take them apart each trip.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts
Cut down a long cardboard box with cover and use that in the back. Otherwise, the rod case and separate reel case, plastic ammo box lined with soft foam, from Wallys, seems to be the only options. Hate to see rods and reels just thrown in the rear of a PU, don't they care about the condition of their gear?

Reactions: Scout 2

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a reel bag. https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Spring-Creek-Fishing-Olive/dp/B00MK16KRO/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=allen+reel+bag&qid=1568826995&s=gateway&sr=8-2&th=1&psc=1 It's made for fly reels, but I can fit 3 or 4 baitcasters in there or a couple of baitcasters and a couple spinners.
I was thinking of something more like this attached to a piece of wood.

Then I could just snap the rods in place with the reels on them. That would lay flat next to the kayak.

#1 Best Seller in Fishing Rod Racks

$

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Put them in butt end first all the way up against the front of the box. Lay each individually straight back in one of the shallow grooves in the bed. It works just fine if you have a truck with an actual bed instead of a four door SUV with an open trunk.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have the same problem with my boat. Has some space for casting rods. But not so much for trolling poles. Love the boat except for this reason.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put them in butt end first all the way up against the front of the box. Lay each individually straight back in one of the shallow grooves in the bed. It works just fine if you have a truck with an actual bed instead of a four door SUV with an open trunk.
I just ordered a set of these, ($10.00):

The rubber anti-skid mat in my truck covers up the grooves. One of these mounted on a board that fits in the gap caused when you fold the tailgate down should do the same as the grooves.

Thanks,

·
Registered
8,610 Posts

The rubber anti-skid mat in my truck covers up the grooves. One of these mounted on a board that fits in the gap caused when you fold the tailgate down should do the same as the grooves.

Thanks,
Assuming you mount them with the open slot facing up and you intend on using them to secure the rods in two places - near the foregrip and nearer the tip - then you might need to put a pad or spacer on the board under where the rod butts will be to keep the rods level and not popping out. If you use baitcasters, maybe the trigger will be enough stand off for it to work. The problem with those are they only hold the rod blank which leaves the heavy end with the rod butt and reel cantilevered and they go where they want to go. If the heavy end is supported, they will work just fine.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
I bought Fennwick Travel Spinning and Casting rods after messing around with protecting 1 piece Rods when hauling my kayak around. Case they come in protects them very well. Bonus is they fit under the back seat easily so when I travel I always have a rod or two. Bonus fishing.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Does anyone have a good suggestion for carrying rods in the back of your truck? How do you keep them from banging around and getting damaged?
I took two 4'x8' sheets of OSB and a few 8' pine 1x6's or 1x8's depending on your needs.
Put the 1x's on edge between the 2 sheets of OSB at whatever distance you need and glue and staple together.
I can put about 20 ready to fish rods in the back of my truck and have stacked 100's of pounds of building materials on top of them for years.

·
Premium Member
10,791 Posts
I was thinking of something more like this attached to a piece of wood.

Then I could just snap the rods in place with the reels on them. That would lay flat next to the kayak.

#1 Best Seller in Fishing Rod Racks

$
Get the ones that have the strap across the top to hold everything from falling out. I bought some at Northwoods last time I was there

·
Premium Member
10,791 Posts
I took two 4'x8' sheets of OSB and a few 8' pine 1x6's or 1x8's depending on your needs.
Put the 1x's on edge between the 2 sheets of OSB at whatever distance you need and glue and staple together.
I can put about 20 ready to fish rods in the back of my truck and have stacked 100's of pounds of building materials on top of them for years.
On the one truck I had I used the slot for the 2X4 in the box and made this shelf then I made a big drawer under it so I could slide it out to get my rods and tackle out

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thanks,
I have not tried them on the road yet but they look like they will work great.

A couple of screws into a piece of scrap wood and some tape to tighten up the fit in the tailgate gap. There are two peices, so there is one for each side.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
I buy the cheap "noodle" I don't know what their called, maybe pool rods, lol, sticks for kids & pools....hollow in the center....they work great, easy on & off....tons of protection....

I cap off the top for long rods with a grocery bag and duck tap....for spinning rods I actually use Cabala gun socks....lol....

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
1 1/2" or 2' pvc cut to length so the reel stem butts up against it, tip just pushed up against a rubber fernco cap on the other end, short bungee will hold it. Or slot the pvc so the reel stem slides into it with the reel sticking to the side or up, which allows you to use one tube for several length rods. You can make a bundle with reels sticking out like a fisherman's bouquet.

Reactions: -Axiom-
1 - 20 of 21 Posts