Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were there specific years where carpeted bunks caused corrosion on aluminum hulls or was it all treated lumber carpeted bunks and is it still an issue with todays carpeted bunks?

·
38,842 Posts
I dont see why that would be the carpet. Likely treated lumber used for bunks. No idea on year, if it ever was a thing.

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
The newer treated lumber is what causes the corrosion.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apparently electrolysis occurs because of the treated lumber, causing corrosion to aluminum hulls.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Check out this stuff. It completely isolates the lumber from the boat, plus it doesn't stay wet like carpet. I have had it on my bunks for about a decade and I'm very pleased with its performance.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ask, because I was reading a discussion on another forum on carpeted bunks vs rollers. Rollers won hands down and one of the reasons was this corrosion issue that I had never been aware of.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yeah PT will corrode aluminum, chemicals can leach through carpet. It’s why folks need to carefully seal plywood floors and transoms, otherwise we could all just use PT. Never heard of it used on bunks from the factory, and I can’t imagine they would.

I just sealed my bunk wood with old timers formula and put the carpet back on, it’s still holding up nicely over a few years.

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,785 Posts
The bunk covering I use is designed with an open weave to dry out between uses in the water. I suppose it would be possible but unlikely that somehow a reaction might occur between the bunk and the hull.

Reactions: sureshot006

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I ask, because I was reading a discussion on another forum on carpeted bunks vs rollers. Rollers won hands down and one of the reasons was this corrosion issue that I had never been aware of.

Yep, rollers are nice, problem is dropping the boat off when you do not want to!

Reactions: sureshot006

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,785 Posts
Your call but I would suggest you check your boat before you spend the additional monies for Cedar bunks. In selling reconditioned trailers for over 10 years have never had a customer come back to me with corrosion issues.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Your call but I would suggest you check your boat before you spend the additional monies for Cedar bunks. In selling reconditioned trailers for over 10 years have never had a customer come back to me with corrosion issues.
Better safe than sorry. Cheap insurance

1 - 16 of 16 Posts