Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I was out shore fishing on Lake Erie yesterday. I saw a man in battle with something fighting hard. The female that was with him climb down on the rocks and swooped up the large fish in the net. Me and my curious self wandered down to see what on earth they had pulled in....carp, they both said. I asked them if they were gonna eat it and they said no. They asked if I ate carp, I answered no. I asked them what kind of bait they used to catch it. They told me it was "a mix". :confused: They said, yep, the carp love it and eat it up. I asked, "a mix", what kind of mix?????? :confused: They both insisted it was "a mix" that the carp loved.....:corkysm55

Now, all of this secrecy :coolgleam about some carp bait has me wondering....What on earth is this mix? Can anyone please share with me???

·
Registered
527 Posts
five or six pieces of canned whole kernel corn on a long shank #6 hook works very well also. tie the hook below the sinker and hold your pole. when they hit it they just go with it

·
Registered
197 Posts
I fished for carp in the Huron River with my Grand ma (she lived on the river). She made dough balls from 50/50 yellow corn meal & flour, with some suger in it & a couple eggs to bind it together.

Boiled for a few minutes, then left to dry on a paper towell. Grandma would reel them in, lots & lots.

She never ate them unless it was really early spring because of some mud vien running down the side. Usually they ended up under a rose bush or fruit tree. That was in New Boston.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
My favorite set up is an ultralite rod with 4 or 6 lb test a couple splitshot and a small hook with about 6 kernals of sweet corn threaded on the hook and line.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I fished for carp in the Huron River with my Grand ma (she lived on the river). She made dough balls from 50/50 yellow corn meal & flour, with some suger in it & a couple eggs to bind it together.

Boiled for a few minutes, then left to dry on a paper towell. Grandma would reel them in, lots & lots.

She never ate them unless it was really early spring because of some mud vien running down the side. Usually they ended up under a rose bush or fruit tree. That was in New Boston.
My Mom had the same recipie, but added vanilla extract. Man they smelled good, and worked great.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My Mom had the same recipie, but added vanilla extract. Man they smelled good, and worked great.
We used to get in trouble for eating the dough balls while sitting along the river. They held together on the hooks great & did catch the biggest most ugly carp. Wow I can still remember those big sucker lips.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
the mix was probably a mix of a large treble hook and weight. kinda like sight fishing with a bow but you get a better fight with a tail hook. :lol:

Although no one will admit to eating carp. If U have the connections of people that like Carp/sheep head/ bass. you can make a trade. Normally 10 lbs of sweet & sour pork/chicken or almond boneless chicken. remember to invite all the neighbors (way to much food) and don't forget to keep the fish whole --huts head and all . Knock on the back door and everyone is happy. Plus we get a few junk fish out of the lake:SHOCKED::fish:;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts