Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a lengthy thread the other week on some eating sheephead, to each is own. Now I'm curious if there's anyone who eats carp and if you do what do you do with it? I personally have never on either and probably will stay that way.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
all you guys are so silly about eating sheepshead(freshwater drumb) they are a preditor fish like walleye. I have put them on the same plate with walleye, perch and bass and there was no difference.. the only difference is the fillet is a little thinner. It isnt like eating brussel sprouts? LOL There mouth may look like a sucker but they arent...as for eating carp nope--- but have eaten suckers smoked and as patties.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Usually I smoke them but have been giving some thought to filleting them out and making some type of smoked sausage.

·
Premium Member
30,283 Posts
I've had smoked carp before in St. Ignace once, they said it was caught in the nets in 100' of water with the other fish usually netted. They let me sample it along with smoked laker,whitefish, and salmon. It was as good as all of them. I bought it, since it was 2.00 per pound cheaper! I don't think that any fish is much differnent than any other as long as the fatty areas and dark meat (lateral line) are cleaned out good. Some may have more chemicals than others, but you wouldn't know it in the taste. I think the water they come from is of utmost importance and the key to taste. I grew up in Flint, and wouldn't eat anything from that river (atleast around flint area). Cold clear water would be good to eat any fish you want to try in my opinion, even carp. Only thing I haven't ate fish wise is Bowfin (dogfish). A guy used to feed them to his dog at Alcona park in glennie when I was a kid, and when he'd fillet them, they had the whitest meat I ever saw. I know their predators because we always used to catch them on sucker minnows while fishing for pike. Just couldn't get past the smell of them, and the **** and blood they would leave all over in the boat:yikes: :lol:

·
Registered
919 Posts
I had carp when I was a kid and will attest it is fairly good. Obviously, like the previous post said....depends where you get them and most importantly, how it is cooked. I haven't had carp in years, but I'll eat it again if my friend cooks it. I won't clean carp--just can't get past how ugly they are!​

1 - 6 of 6 Posts