Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, headed up to ludington state park this weekend and always see HUGE carp in the river below the dam. Wondering if there's any good techniques to catch on of these monsters?? Anyone ever catch one of these brutes? Thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
388 Posts
Corn on the bottom, Carolina rigged, always works for me!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I'm certain bowfishing is frowned upon there so that's outa the question. As far as using corn what size hook and is it just regular canned corn? Do you chum them first?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
388 Posts
I use a size 6, tho alot of buddies like tiny hooks, and regular canned corn, dump the juices in the water, and a hand full or two for chum

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah, depending on the river, some areas dont allow bowfishing within so many feet of a dam.
Corn does work, I've heard of people that actually thread the corn up the line a little bit PAST the hook. Their theory is if the carp "mouth" the corn, they wont feel the hook, as they suck the corn in, the hook follows. Let 'em run with it a ways and set the hook, who knows? I personnaly, haven't tried it.
I have had good luck with dough balls sprayed with WD40 (don't ask why WD40, why not garlic or something?) but its pretty hard to beat a ball of night crawlers on a treble hook, Carolina rigged, as previously stated.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
.....but its pretty hard to beat a ball of night crawlers on a treble hook, Carolina rigged, as previously stated.
Good Luck.
No trebles are allowed in this stretch of river....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Gosh! I guess the game warden would have a hay day with me huh? No bowfishing, no treble hooks, come on....its a ******* CARP!!! It ought to be legal to snag 'em. :)

·
Registered
13,856 Posts
I used to catch quite a few on spawnbags, when fishing the Ausable for Skamanias in summer. Sometimes it got annoying because the Carp were a lot more aggressive than the Steelhead. They were ponderous to fight, whereas the Steelhead were like hooking a bolt of lightning.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just use a small hook and corn. You can Carolina rig it or just use enough splitshot to get it out where you want it. It is better to go with the lightest line possible because they are smart(maybe just shy) fish unlike most of the fish people target.

Stay away from all of the nonsense about snagging them...That is just as illegal as snagging walleye during the spawn. I personally think that should be legal but we have laws for a reason. Additionally, if you get in to bowfishing them please do not just throw them on the shore and waste them. That is what a lot of bowfisherman do and it gives them a really bad reputation. Plus, I think it is considered littering.

One more tip, use a good reel with good drag. They run like crazy and are a ton of fun to catch. It is a great way to get a kid addicted to fishing because once you get them biting, it is non-stop action.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys..thank you for all the info:) tried a lil corn at the local fishin hole this evening and managed to hook a few carp! What's the best time to fish for them? Morning afternoon or night? Also as far as the ludington state park goes what other species can be had at the dam? And what tactics should I try? Taking 5 kids up with me so I'd like to give them more than a few gills..thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Perch, rockbass, some real nice smallies, largemouth, pike...some decent size, sheephead, some walleyes, bluegills, lots of gobies.

Best bet for the smallies, and fun for the kids too....go roll some rocks in the river for a while and collect up some crawfish. Drift them with a small single hook in their back. We used to snorkel the river quite a bit, and would catch some crawfish, pinch their back to paralyze them, then when you saw a smallie you could almost hand feed them.
Throw on a snorkel/mask and float down the river on a nice day, you'll be suprised at how many and how nice of fish you see in there, and it is a good way to learn the river better.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
The Sable River in Ludington State Park is a designated trout stream. So no bowfishing.

Single hook, no greater than 3/8" from point to shank.

·
Registered
921 Posts
ive never been able to get em to bite before but one time i went swimming with a mask in the river there and down by the lower end of the river near the mouth there is a big deep hole. saw a decent school of walleye, a few muskie(sure looked like muskie), and some pike. along with the regular suckers/gobys

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Hey guys..thank you for all the info:) tried a lil corn at the local fishin hole this evening and managed to hook a few carp! What's the best time to fish for them? Morning afternoon or night? Also as far as the ludington state park goes what other species can be had at the dam? And what tactics should I try? Taking 5 kids up with me so I'd like to give them more than a few gills..thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device
We used to camp up there all the time when I was young. In the evening, we'd go down by the dam and fish worms on the bottom with enough splitshot to hold bottom or a carolina rig with an egg sinker and catch a TON of bullheads. Caught a few suckers and miscellaneous fish too, but lots of bullheads.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yeah, depending on the river, some areas dont allow bowfishing within so many feet of a dam.
Corn does work, I've heard of people that actually thread the corn up the line a little bit PAST the hook. Their theory is if the carp "mouth" the corn, they wont feel the hook, as they suck the corn in, the hook follows. Let 'em run with it a ways and set the hook, who knows? I personnaly, haven't tried it.
I have had good luck with dough balls sprayed with WD40 (don't ask why WD40, why not garlic or something?) but its pretty hard to beat a ball of night crawlers on a treble hook, Carolina rigged, as previously stated.
Good Luck.
I am pretty sure one of the main ingredients in WD-40 is fish oil, so thats why it works.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I am pretty sure one of the main ingredients in WD-40 is fish oil, so thats why it works.

This is from the WD-40 web site. Probably shouldn't be putting into our water.

Myth: WD-40 contains fish oil.
Fact:
Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40 can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40 to attract fish.

http://www.wd40.com/about-us/myths-legends-fun-facts/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts