Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just got back from a caribou trip and I wanted to fill you guys in with some of the events. They used Caribou Adventures and went European (meaning they brought their own food and cooked it themselves). Everybody got 2 caribou, and most by mid-week.

One disturbing thing is one guy from the trip two weeks before them got lost and never made it back. There is natural food everywhere so it isn't a starvation story, but more likely wolves or bear attack. They didn't find a trace of him or his gear and had a large search party for 2 straight weeks.

My buddy took both his caribou with his bow and both were easy 20 yard shots. He just found 2 trails that crossed in a low area and perched himself up on a rock. He saw more than 20 caribou a day, and said he stopped counting after 100 caribou. 2 caribou had trophy racks.

Everything else went perfectly, no problems at customs with the meat, etc.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Sounds like your buds had a good hunt.

I may be making reservations for a hunt in November of '04, depending. Its a drive-in hunt to Quebec and stay at a lodge. Cost will be under 2K.

The dude thats been lost/missing without a trace is a wee bit sobering........ Serves as a reminder that it can be unforgiving country.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sobering is on the lite side. They saw wolves nearly every day. My buddy said it was amazing to see people out there without a GPS. He noted they were 150 miles from the Arctic Circle. All the terraign looked the same. That outfitter has a high average double kill. Also each camp averaged 1 bear kill a year.

They shopped around a lot, and talked to a lot of people who did various hunts and settled on that one.

They drove 32 hours, then took a float planes. Cost total was $1900. He said he would do it again in a heart beat.

He took his first bull on the first afternoon 3:30PM which was a 1/2 day of hunting as you got into camp, set up, then got a short hunt. Everybody was amazed that he took his bull within a few minutes of getting settled in.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Find out how was caribou vs deer, table fair? I plan on going there soon with a few buds fron Ontario,,They say its better than deer or moose....I question this point?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hey Banditto,

My family and I are interested in going on a caribou hunt in the near future. I was wondering if you could possible get some information on where your buddy went. we have been looking around and we seem to find the prices up around $2500. If the place your buddy went to has a number or website we could call or check out, We would greatly appreciate the help. Thank you.

Jay

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep he is up north bowhunting right now, but I will talk to him again in a couple days. I can't remember for the life of me the name of the outfitter, but overall he was very pleased with everything.

I said earlier it was called "Caribou Adventures" but it is really "XXXX Caribou Adventures" forgetting what the XXXX was again.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thank you for the info Banditto. I was talking to my Dad and he said he may want to try the trip next year if possible, if not then for sure the next. Thanks again.

Jay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts