Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a post last spring about fees at some of the boat ramps on the MO.Link

I went to the Thornapple/Highrollway launch tonight and they are really doing a lot of work on the road. There is a new sign that says "vehicle permit required" and a new booth for the sale of the permits. I don't think this will slow down the use of this launch. BUT! They will now have NO excuses for not maintaining it.

Here is the new booth

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Thats a great thing for the boat launch. Unfortanetly it probably will greatly increase the pressure on some of the walk in spots. It all comes with some type of compromise.

·
Banned
64 Posts
mondrella said:
Unfortanetly it probably will greatly increase the pressure on some of the walk in spots.
Eventually I'm sure those will be pay to walk access.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's kinda funny how shiny that sign is in the offset light. If this happens, you can say bye-bye to a lot of the tubers. Now, I'm just waiting for those Flies Only & No Fish Kill signs along the river.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Unfortunately, this will put more walk-in pressure on the "free" access areas. With the state of our state, it doesn't surprise me as the DNR has been forced to rely solely on income that they generate. So much for our tax dollars going to support "re-education" for all the unemployed workers that worked for companies that the state has chased away by not becoming a "right to work" state and by waiting so long to do away with the SBT. Our tax base has all moved south of the border, and I don't mean Mexico. There are plenty of jobs in Kentucky, Tennessee, the Carolinas, and Alabama with a lower cost of living. The Governess is just so happy when she brings in 100 high-tech from Japan. How about the thousands that have left over the past four years? Its all quite sad and the burden lies on us that have chosen to stay in MI. Very sad, and this is just the beginning:rant:

Wally-eye...$55 will buy you unlimited fun on Muskegon Lake, with your choice of well maintained launches. I make that purchase every year and have not regretted it yet. Fortunately, there are enough "free" walk-in spots on the Muskegon to get my steelhead fix every fall.

·
Super Moderator
20,299 Posts
Dutchman said:
I started a post last spring about fees at some of the boat ramps on the MO.Link

I went to the Thornapple/Highrollway launch tonight and they are really doing a lot of work on the road. There is a new sign that says "vehicle permit required" and a new booth for the sale of the permits. I don't think this will slow down the use of this launch. BUT! They will now have NO excuses for not maintaining it.

Here is the new booth

Good Deal!

Looks like a cash cow with all the canoers/tubers using it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
What I found most interesting, they told my brother there is no charge to launch your boat, you only have to pay if you plan to park your vehicle.

The other interesting thing is it only seems to be manned between 9:00 and 5:00.

Will they also be charging at Pine and New bridge?

Any idea as to why they are cutting that branch road off the the right as you enter?

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
wally-eye...$55 will buy you unlimited fun on Muskegon Lake, with your choice of well maintained launches. I make that purchase every year and have not regretted it yet. Fortunately, there are enough "free" walk-in spots on the Muskegon to get my steelhead fix every fall.[/quote]

I hear ya on that. 2 years ago I did buy a yearly sticker but not anymore. That'd mean I'd have to fish Skegon lake at least 6 times to get my monies worth....usually don't fish there that often anymore. Haven't been there yet this year. Been fishing local lakes instead........unsure why.:dizzy:

·
Registered
849 Posts
I am glad to see this. Those roads were terrible and needed some attention. Maybe I'll be able to make it back in there during the winter now. :)

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Pork Chop said:
Will they also be charging at Pine and New bridge?
They probably don't have to, as most folks floating either put in or take out at Thornapple. Its a good place for them to maximize income.

·
Banned
64 Posts
thousandcasts said:
Is that a DNR launch site? If so, then that $24 should cover you for the other launch sites as well, Tippy, et al.
It will be a State launch site, called & confirmed.

Pork Chop said:
What I found most interesting, they told my brother there is no charge to launch your boat, you only have to pay if you plan to park your vehicle.
One of the possible reasons why:

For those that are not aware, most of the State launches are a part of the Parks & Recreation division. (Which means seasonal.:)) The representative I talked to confirmed this. Let's use Newaygo State Park boat launch as an example. (Which usually requires a State Park/Vehicle Pass during season.)

Years ago during the OFF SEASON (Which usually starts after Labor Day), I decided to drive into the Newaygo State Park and launch my boat at the State boat launch. At the time I wasn't sure if I really needed a vehicle pass or not, because the booth was completely empty of any human life to collect some money. It just happened to be when I pulled up towards the boat launch, I saw a DNR officer sitting in his truck. I pulled up next to him and asked him if I needed a Vehicle Pass/Permit to launch my boat. He said do you see anyone standing around here wanting to collect money? During some of the conversation, he also quoted that it basically wasn't his job to write tickets for something that doesn't exist during the off season. (So basically unmanned during this time.) That right there told me the whole story that I could use (I'm not saying the word free), just about any of the State boat launches without having to pay the "During the Season Pass Fee." Same thing with camping, unless the State Park is manned year around, you can use the camping sites during the off season without paying the Vehicle access fees. (Best time to go camping, unless you like a lot of people around.)

Unless these new launches are manned during the off season (Which I doubt it because the State cannot afford yearly help right now), I could see for some this will not be a problem paying the vehicle pass fee. It could benefit for me, as I only visit these areas during the off season.

I also asked the representative what the worse case scenario would be if someone decided not to pay for access fees during the off season. He basically told me the worse case would be you "might" get a envelope on the vehicle encouraging you to pay either the day or yearly pass. There is no tickets involved during the off season. Also, I do not want to confuse some people with County Parks as those are managed/maintained differently. The best thing to do is call your county official & start asking a lot of questions.

·
Banned
579 Posts
It's a crock of #[email protected]% if you ask me. We asked the lady at the booth what we will be getting back for the fees, thinking maybe paved road or plowed launches. She said no they will not be doing that, but it will be easier for the police to patrol now, it gives them easier access.:confused: Not sure how, but thats what she had to say.:lol:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Fish Magnet said:
It will be a State launch site, called & confirmed.

One of the possible reasons why:

At the time I wasn't sure if I really needed a vehicle pass or not, because the booth was completely empty of any human life to collect some money. It just happened to be when I pulled up towards the boat launch, I saw a DNR officer sitting in his truck. I pulled up next to him and asked him if I needed a Vehicle Pass/Permit to launch my boat. He said do you see anyone standing around here wanting to collect money? During some of the conversation, he also quoted that it basically wasn't his job to write tickets for something that doesn't exist during the off season. (So basically unmanned during this time.) That right there told me the whole story that I could use (I'm not saying the word free), just about any of the State boat launches without having to pay the "During the Season Pass Fee." Same thing with camping, unless the State Park is manned year around, you can use the camping sites during the off season without paying the Vehicle access fees. (Best time to go camping, unless you like a lot of people around.)

Unless these new launches are manned during the off season (Which I doubt it because the State cannot afford yearly help right now), I could see for some this will not be a problem paying the vehicle pass fee. It could benefit for me, as I only visit these areas during the off season.
Another thing the lady also told me is that they would be installing a self serve kiosk so that you could pay when the booth wasn't manned.

Another aside, the first time I spoke to the lady (last Monday or Tuesday), she told me they hadn't even recieved the stickers yet.

·
Banned
64 Posts
Pork Chop said:
Another thing the lady also told me is that they would be installing a self serve kiosk so that you could pay when the booth wasn't manned.
It was a good thing that you brought this up. I just got off the phone from a conservation officer that knows quite a bit about this upcoming project, and he says one of the main reasons for the self serve kiosk is because the Thornapple/Highrollway access is one of the most used boat launches below Croton. He didn't mention too much about the Croton Dam/Pine St. or the other launches, but I'm sure it is a matter of time before you will need a vehicle pass also to acquire the parking privileges. (Because alot of people just float from Croton to Pine St.) Also like some of have already said, this will pressure the "free" walk in access sites. In due time, don't be surprised that these area's will fall victim to the vehicle pass, as some of these areas are also state land.

About the statements I previously made, these are true about certain state launch sites (Pretty much area's that are less targeted), that you are not required to purchase a vehicle pass during the off season, or where no self serve kiosk's are present. (At least for the moment.)

Flyfisher said:
Its all quite sad and the burden lies on us that have chosen to stay in MI. Very sad, and this is just the beginning:rant:
Because of the budget crisis, it really is ashame that sportsman are the ones becoming the "target".

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am glad to see the permit "IF" and only if they maintain the roads and utilities at the launch. My understanding is that the extra fee's on top of our license fee's will not be used to plow the road during the "off season" when a lot of us use that launch. I spoke to one of the DNR employees there today, she said it is only intended for the summer months and possibly into the fall. I asked her how they plan on patrolling this thing after hours or before daylight during the "off season" and her comment was the launch would only be open during "daylight" hours. I don't think she was very well informed or possibly the DNR hasn't nailed down any specifics yet.

Just for kicks, I asked her how many of those shacks they had burned into the budget. She gave me a real funny look! I noted that if they don't secure that thing somehow, it will end up next to some Clyde's trailer as a in-law aprtment or maybe even a "Greenhouse" so to speak. She didn't seem to be amused.

I do hope for all intentional purposes this program works and we some some "Extra" benefit from the additional charges and it doesn't end up as Jenny's retirement fund!

:evilsmile

·
Banned
64 Posts
headshkr said:
I am glad to see the permit "IF" and only if they maintain the roads and utilities at the launch. My understanding is that the extra fee's on top of our license fee's will not be used to plow the road during the "off season" when a lot of us use that launch.
That raises a good question. Is Newaygo County, or the State Of Michigan going to plow & maintain the road on a regular basis in the "off season" when the truck & boat trailer traffic is at it's peak? :confused:

·
Registered
334 Posts
I spent a little time with a CO last week and his reply to Pine street was they will be putting in a pay pipe at Pine st next year. Supposedly paving entrance road and parking lot.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have one complaint with the permit. I am a "local" and use the landing quite often. I am sure I will use it more that 4 times to justify the $24 for the annual sticker. Heck I will use it at least a half dozen the first 2 weeks of July!BUT, it is June and we are half way through the year. It would be nice to only pay for half the year, since that is all it will cover. I wouldn't mind next year if I bought one in June, because it will have been available in January to cover the whole year. Yea, I know I'm spliitng hairs but, ya gotta try and save a dime when ya can.

·
Registered
672 Posts
if i have to pay to park, can they promise me my boat trailer will still be there when i return?
i've never had mine stolen but i've been there and seen the less than lucky. i heard 3 were stolen in the past 12 days.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts