Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any cardiac owners willing to share the speeds they are getting with what arrow weight dl and poundage. I am a little frustrated with the speeds i am getting and considering selling the thing.

406 grain total weight ce maxima 350 ---272fps
356 grain total weight easton fatboy---287fps

My cam is correctly timed my draw length is 29in i have 70lb limbs maxed out at 70.5 on the string are peep d-loop and factory silencers. I was hoping my hunting arrows (maximas) would be in the 280s any info would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Go to archerytalk.com and post that info. It may be correctly tuned, but it probably can use some extra tuning. People are getting better speeds from these so I suggest you get some help from them. I hear there are some tricks to tuning these rigs for optimum speed...and accuracy ofcourse. I am shooting a CR334 and I'll never touch those speeds, but it's a sweet shooter.

Figure your losing 10fps for your draw length. Figure you're losing another 10-15fps for your peep, loop and silencers (factory or not). So guess your about 20-25 ft less than IBO ratings. My guess is you can get those 356 grain arrows into the high 290's+ and get your Maximas into the low to mid 280's. Don't give up on her yet!

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
Check the timing or have someone really good check the timing.
It's a mysth that Single cams don't have timing issues. In fact I've found it to be the opposite. They're MORE suceptible due to the doubly long string. Also more difficult to tell when they're out of time.

Check the cam rotation at rest and full draw very closely to make sure it's in spec.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I sent a couple of emails to ross with pics of my cam but i did not recieve any reply until last night when they called. I was pleasently suprised to hear from them i believe i will be sending it back to the factory but they have to ok it first. Hopefully i will hear something today. I hope its a easy fix becuse i do love the bow i just feel i am not getting everything i paid for.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Ross' customer service is second to none.....they will make sure your happy. Be sure to keep us updated on what they find and how it works out in the end.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bow will be on its way back to ross as soon as my ups label arrives. Another problem i did not mention my string suppressor kept popping off. I recieved a new one but despite removing the screw in the riser i couldnt get the sts rod out and i did not want to force anything. Anyways i am sure the factory will make everything right they were very nice and helpful over the phone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bow arrived back yesterday. Chris from ross called before they shipped it back and told me they scratched the riser while trying to remove the bad sts so i got a new riser and strings and cables which i am happy about. He also told me the arrow i sent along with the bow (406 grain ce maxima) was shooting 285 which i will test out this weekend if that is the case i will be very happy. I do however believe i got a new riser becuse the first was machined wrong not becuse they scratched it but thats just my opinion. They also told me my cam was out of time but i compared pics i took of it prior to sending it back and the cam now and they look identical. All in all ross had great customer service and really took care of me.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Good to hear they made a solid effort to make it right! I don't hear of many problems with there bows, but everytime I have heard one, Ross has stepped to the plate. My string on my 334 came off my idler wheel during the draw last week, can't figure out why as I drew it normally. Likely a fluke or operator error...we'll see if it continues to happen.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hey Bone -

Just curious, I am not calling you out on this, just genuinely curious. You mentioned earlier that you were achieving 280's with a lighter arrow, and the arrow you sent with the bow was only 15fps slower than the factory achieved prior to sending your bow back. Have you seen any performance differences now that it's back? My ol' Hoyt shoots about 265ish fps and I am not sure I would tell the difference, but I am starting to think about replacing it, so I am interested in what you have seen with your bow...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
chrisu said:
Hey Bone -

Just curious, I am not calling you out on this, just genuinely curious. You mentioned earlier that you were achieving 280's with a lighter arrow, and the arrow you sent with the bow was only 15fps slower than the factory achieved prior to sending your bow back. Have you seen any performance differences now that it's back? My ol' Hoyt shoots about 265ish fps and I am not sure I would tell the difference, but I am starting to think about replacing it, so I am interested in what you have seen with your bow...
I was getting 280s with my lightweight easton fatboys (356 grain total) my hunting arrows are the 406 grain ce maxima hunters they were shooting 272. This past sat i shot my maximas (406 grain) thru the chrono at archers and anglers and got 285 i did not shoot the fatboys thru the chrono but i imagine they would be in the mid 290s. If you are thinking about replacing your old hoyt with a new one go shoot the vulcan i shot one while my cardiac was at the factory and was so impressed with everything about the bow i bought one on the spot. I like the cardiac but imo the vulcan draws just as smooth with less hand shock and amazing speed my 406 grain maximas are right at 300 fps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts