Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about doing some night fishing on Fri, we will have 2 guys in about a 2 1/2 man shanty, very snug. To keep warm and provide light, I want to run a propane lantern. I just want to make sure that we are not all going to end up dead from carbon monoxide. Any input on running heaters or lantersn in shanty's will be very helpful. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Is your shanty a fold up/down portable or a one piece wood/other?

In either case, venting is the key to longivity!

If its a portable leave the zipper at the top open a bit.

If its a wood/other matieral "permanent" shanty I'd suggest installing a "roof vent" (alum/plastic) or leaving the door cracked a bit. I saw one last week end that utilized a metal heater duct (outlet) with a adjustable lever, they had it mounted near the ceiling/top of the wall. Guy said it lets the excess heat out and air in. Looked cool!

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts
You'll be ok. I've ran a small infrared and my lantern in mine with a CO monitor and had minimal readings. You'd be more likely to be Oxygen deficient from the burning of the O2 which could lead to an extinguished flame, and a propane gas leak. Good idea to always allow good ventilation. This also helps reduce condensation from an 80 degree shanty on a 10 degree day.:D

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Go out and drop the coin for a Mr. Heater. propane heater. They are the whip. Have a low O2 shutoff so you wont die. Run about 70 to $100 depending on where you get them.

If you have a permenat shanty, get a couple of 3" hole vents that they use in soffets and put 1 on each end of the shanty. You can screw on a piece of scrape plywood over the vent on the inside to use as a damper if the wind is whipping too strong from one end. If you have a portable, just leave the zippers open at the top a little bit, and don't pack the bottom of the shanty with slush. Leave a gap on the bottom of the shanty, since hot air rises, it will pull fresh air in from under the shanty.

We have IF at night before and never had a problem, then again, we never have fallen asleep either.

Don't end up a statistic.

·
Registered
20,132 Posts
You won't die,, I've NEVER worried about ventilation,, the only time you'd have to worry about the ventilation, is if you were in a "ziploc" bag, with NO air! The air goes in and out of these shanties so easily, its a "non-issue" basically.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts