Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to remove the insert tips without sacrificing the arrows integrity? The tips I installed are a larger diameter than the arrow and it makes it difficult to remove my arrows from my 3d target.

If I can't remove them, I will have to trash 12 arrows. I can't cut them down any further.

Please advise.

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
Depends on what adhesive was used to install them.

I've had sucess screwing in a long 150-175grain field tip and heating it GENTLY (the tip and never the shaft) with a blow torch JUST until it liquifies the glue enough to remove it. The metal point trasfers the heat to the insert thru induction but you have to be carefull.

Some adhesives take more heat than others.

Caution and a keen eye are the key.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Find a drill bit slightly smaller than the ID of the arrow shaft. Insert at nock end and "whip" it to the insert end end. Voila'!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Michihunter said:
Find a drill bit slightly smaller than the ID of the arrow shaft. Insert at nock end and "whip" it to the insert end end. Voila'!!
I tried this method and it has not worked for me. I always use the heat method.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Kelly Johnson said:
Depends on what adhesive was used to install them.

I've had sucess screwing in a long 150-175grain field tip and heating it GENTLY (the tip and never the shaft) with a blow torch JUST until it liquifies the glue enough to remove it. The metal point trasfers the heat to the insert thru induction but you have to be carefull.

Some adhesives take more heat than others.

Caution and a keen eye are the key.
Best way to go by far.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kelly Johnson,

Your idea sounds good. I used an epoxy to glue them, will this method work with an epoxy?

Also, what exactly am I supposed to be careful with and please explain your "Keen Eye" comment. What am I looking out for?

Thanks, your input is appreciated.

·
Registered
517 Posts
swampstand said:
Kelly Johnson,

Your idea sounds good. I used an epoxy to glue them, will this method work with an epoxy?

Also, what exactly am I supposed to be careful with and please explain your "Keen Eye" comment. What am I looking out for?

Thanks, your input is appreciated.
Yes it will work. Be careful to not burn yourself or your arrow. The flame needs to on or near the field tip only. Keep it away from the arrow itself. Remember the field tip will stay hot for a while!

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
Carbon shafts aren't solid....they're sheets of carbon rolled up and glued.

If you heat the shaft too much you'll liquify the glue that holds the roll together as well and weaken it.

Justin put it well.....keep the heat to the insert indirect by heating the tip of the field point.

Alum and metal is a better conducter of heat so it will transfer quickly to the insert and slowly to the carbon...pull it as soon as it moves and get the heat (insert and very hot tip) away from the carbon shaft.

Really look over the end after and make sure there's no degradation or mushrooming at the end.

The drill bit thing...never heard of but Imma try it tonight and I'll report back:D

If I bleed I'm lookin for YOU Michi:lol:

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
The drill bit trick has worked for me as well as heating up a field point in the insert .
Be carefull using both methods .

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
Ok...So I'm at home and got a drill bit just small enough to fit in.

But how do you get the dill in that little hole too?:sad: :lol: :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts