Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody out there uses carbon arrows with their traditional gear. I nomally shoot a wheel bow but last year got a Kodiak Mag. from a buddy and have be bitten by the traditional bug.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Would Strongly Suggest yu attend the jamboree in June. You will get this question answered along with a ton of other questions in regards to Traditional Bowhunting.

If you think you have been bitten now after the weekend you will have it so deeply imbedded that probably not even a Surgeon can remove. LOL. It will give you a good idea if Traditional Archery is for you.

GW

·
Registered
664 Posts
I hunted with carbons for the first time last year. I used Gold Tip arrows 55/75 out of my 3piece Td Bill stewart longbow. Its 60" 56lbs at 27" draw. I used a 3 blade Snuffer 125 grain with 100 grain steel broadhead adaptor.
I think carbons are great. But I would look for those that have a decent weight per inch like 8 grains and up. I think most guys that shoot them with compounds shoot them for speed and pick a light shaft. Thats hard on any bow.
I just heard a guy talk at a bowhunters banquet in another state that has hunted all over the world. He used to hunt with fiber glass fish arrows but now uses carbons that are weighted to bring the weight of the arrow up. A man asked him how far he would practice with such a heavy arrow because of the increase in the trajectory because of the heavy arrow? He said he shot them all the time at 3-D shoots out to 40 yards and farther. You just had to get used to shooting higher at longer shots.
I got to look at that carbon arrow. When you picked it up it was as heavy as a steel rod of the same diameter. Maybe thats a little over board for deer.
Get ahold of a few and try them out of your bow. I would watch out being adivsed from someone that doesnt shoot traditional bows. I have bought shafts that were way to stiff because of this and what the chart said.
If you get over my way your welcome to shoot some of mine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You name it, and I think I've tried it! :p I mostly use the carbons for indoor league. Lighter and flatter shooting.

I have used the same carbons for 3D in the summer, but I got tired of loosing them from bad shots! :mad: So far I always found them. Some times it took several weeks of looking!

For hunting this past year I used chundo. I may try some parallel to taper carbons that I have, next year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I shoot all kinds of shafts but for durability you can't beat carbons. I prefer Gold-Tips because you can weight them on the front & back of the shaft for perfect flight & weght tuning.I bare shaft tune all my arrows & this option really helps.Black Widow sells Gold-Tip shafts & weights. I would't suggest carbon for bows under 50# though,to get good arrow flight you really have to weigh down the front of the shaft & won't get much cast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts