Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some questions and I'm looking for some opinions. I have read an article that stated carbon will absorb ozone. As part of my scent control all of my clothes are washed in a scent free tub with scent free detergent, dried and then soaked in carbon activated water, dried and then stored in a sealed locker with a ozone generator until I'm ready to use for hunting. My question is the carbon's abilty to absorb odors being reduced due to the ozone? Anybody doing both and noticed problems?

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I've got some questions and I'm looking for some opinions. I have read an article that stated carbon will absorb ozone. As part of my scent control all of my clothes are washed in a scent free tub with scent free detergent, dried and then soaked in carbon activated water, dried and then stored in a sealed locker with a ozone generator until I'm ready to use for hunting. My question is the carbon's abilty to absorb odors being reduced due to the ozone? Anybody doing both and noticed problems?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just don your scent control garb and go hunting. But play the wind. That's the most important part of any hunt.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate your comments, with out a doubt I play the wind, but I'm also a smoker(not when I'm hunting) and I know without a doubt that using these techniques help conceal me better. No offense but my question wasn't about playing the wind it was whether or not ozone reduces carbons ability to absorb odors and if anyone that does this has notice a difference.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Appreciate your comments, with out a doubt I play the wind, but I'm also a smoker(not when I'm hunting) and I know without a doubt that using these techniques help conceal me better. No offense but my question wasn't about playing the wind it was whether or not ozone reduces carbons ability to absorb odors and if anyone that does this has notice a difference.
Unless you can carbon cleanse and ozone your lungs you're wasting your time. If I can smell a smokers breath from 200 yards a deer can smell you from a mile, even if you haven't smoked for 12 hours. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Yep if you are a smoker you are pretty much SOL.
I am a smoker and I kill deer each and every year. I have even smoked while on stand and killed deer. I am not defending smokers. But as humans we have the ability to recognize smokers from the smell. Deer don't know what smoking is and don't know that humans smoke. They cannot associate cigarette smoke with humans. All they smell is a foreign odor in the woods. Sometimes it alarms them and sometimes it doesn't. Deer smell foreign odors all the time, even those that we cannot smell. I always hunt according to the wind direction and have never had a deer bust me because of smoking. At least the ones that come from upwind like they're supposed to when I am hunting. As for the original post, think about this. For a hundred years man has hunted deer and did not use ozone or carbon. And they still killed thousands of deer. What does that tell you?

·
Banned
354 Posts
I am a smoker and I kill deer each and every year. I have even smoked while on stand and killed deer. I am not defending smokers. But as humans we have the ability to recognize smokers from the smell. Deer don't know what smoking is and don't know that humans smoke. They cannot associate cigarette smoke with humans. All they smell is a foreign odor in the woods. Sometimes it alarms them and sometimes it doesn't. Deer smell foreign odors all the time, even those that we cannot smell. I always hunt according to the wind direction and have never had a deer bust me because of smoking. At least the ones that come from upwind like they're supposed to when I am hunting. As for the original post, think about this. For a hundred years man has hunted deer and did not use ozone or carbon. And they still killed thousands of deer. What does that tell you?
You're not trying to reduce your scent.
If you were being a smoker would greatly reduce your chances of effectively accomplishing that.

Do you need scent control to kill deer? No.
Will it help you reduce the impact on your hunting area? Yes.

Anyone who thinks they can practice scent control and forget the wind is living a fantasy.

·
Premium Member
14,396 Posts
We should hire the doc to send us back and teach us the right way to hunt?

·
Inscrutable Mastermind
5,419 Posts
What article did you read?

Ozone can change activated carbon's properties. It can also leave oxidized elements on the carbon and close the pores in activated carbon. In my opinion this fact is irrelevant and you will still be more odor free using both modalities. Keep doing what you are doing.

The carbon's ability to absorb odors will probably only be slightly reduced.

I can't imagine that it is possible for anyone doing both to "notice problems" and attribute any problems to the fact that they used both.

I have a Gas Chromatograpy Mass Spectrometer you can rent when I'm not using it to detect rogue volatile organic scents while you are on stand.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
The breath solution:
http://www.icanbreathe.com/

I've been using this product for the last four seasons. Like it a lot.
Specifically which one are you using FL? ... the eye shade? :):)

A good question for sure, and one I wouldn't worry too much about either. You might be a little crowded in your stand with Steven J's GC Mass Spec so I wouldn't try that either. I'm sure you have heard it before, but the best thing you can do for yourself (and your family) is to quit smoking. Yes, I killed a lot of deer when I was a smoker but I've killed a lot nicer deer since I quit smoking 18 years ago - and I rarely ever cough much either. Good luck in the woods this year.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
What article did you read?

Ozone can change activated carbon's properties. It can also leave oxidized elements on the carbon and close the pores in activated carbon. In my opinion this fact is irrelevant and you will still be more odor free using both modalities. Keep doing what you are doing.

The carbon's ability to absorb odors will probably only be slightly reduced.

I can't imagine that it is possible for anyone doing both to "notice problems" and attribute any problems to the fact that they used both.

I have a Gas Chromatograpy Mass Spectrometer you can rent when I'm not using it to detect rogue volatile organic scents while you are on stand.
I came across the article on a website for active carbon. Can't remember what the site was.
Actually now that I look at the one farmlegend's recommended they talk about that mask's ability to absorb ozone.
I was just curious if I normally get 4 or 5 uses out of the mask is the ozone going to reduce it to 1 or 2.
Appreciate the offer on the mass spec this is what I've been using.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
I came across the article on a website for active carbon. Can't remember what the site was.
Actually now that I look at the one farmlegend's recommended they talk about that mask's ability to absorb ozone.
I was just curious if I normally get 4 or 5 uses out of the mask is the ozone going to reduce it to 1 or 2.
Appreciate the offer on the mass spec this is what I've been using.:)
LOL - Love the Bubble Boy suit, amped! Might be a little tuff drawing your bow but they sure wouldn't smell you. :):)

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
If you think there's anything you can do that will completely eliminate a deer's ability to smell you if you are upwind, you are only fooling yourself and wasting your money.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts