Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As if it wasn't bad enough that my car is a POS (but it runs well) it will now cost me 25% more to insure the stupid thing. I haven't had any claims or tickets on it either. I heard on WWJ that insurance was going to go up and the average increase was 7%. I understand there is going to be increases, that is just the cost of doing business, but 25%?????? Cripes my butt hurts!!

I also read my policy and found out that I have to pay 115 each year to pay state mandated programs for the stupid lawsuits and and catastrophic claims, along with 7 for mullets that cant get regular insurance and a buck to fight auto theft.

I called my agent, who is an independent, and she was helpfull enough but couldn't offer any explanations either. She did offer to shop my policy so we will see what happens.

Anyone know something about fleet insurance???

Cripes, what a pile......

·
Registered
26,525 Posts
I read somewhere that you should change insurance companies every two years or else you stand a good chance of getting ripped. Ever notice that you always get increases but never ever see decreases.

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been with this company for a 1 1/2 year, So it my be time to switch. I know AAA bumped my rate 3 times in a yr. I'll comp it on monday..

·
Registered
26,525 Posts
You know that this is legalized gambling (used to be a big thing).

You are betting that you're going toneed the insurance and they're betting you won't. If you do use it they up your ante.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Good one Freepop.

If there's one thing I've learned in the last couple years, (partly due to responses here) you can't count on one company being the cheapest by name alone. That is to say, it seems that neighborhood, vehicle type, marital status, credit record and God only knows what other variables influence the price differently for different people.

I tell ya though, if you have a good, trustworthy insurance rep, it sure takes a lot of the burden of figuring out a good policy away.

Good luck. We're up for renewal in a couple months, I'm kinda anxious to find out if my policy is going to increase also.

·
Administrator
26,688 Posts
I have AAA thru Oakland Catholic credit union. Nobody can come close to their price. I get it for 1 year what all other places want for 6 months.

The main reason its going up they say is because of the stock market was down and they lost earnings from that. When the market gets going again, how much you want to bet it does not go down.(premiums).

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ok,I will get burned again on this reply. The reason you car insurance is rising is to pay for parts of the state that have high claim rates. So if you live in no where michigan with a low car theft,insurance scam rate you are paying for a part of our state thate has a high auto claim,insurance scam rate. Why? You will not get re elected if you tell the truth and pass legislation based on the your true risk. It is uncaring and insensitive to do so.(it is caled red lining,a political no no) Any way it is a moot point. The high risk area people do not have insurance anyway. They don"t need it. You are paying for it. Take the money you earn and don"t use it to care for your family.Give it to people that know how to work the system.

·
Banned
848 Posts
Try Unitrin Direct. My insurance cost was reduced significantly. Search for their web site. If you have good credit and a good record, I think you'll find their rates very competitive. I've told a few friends about it and some were turned down, others were given policies at a big savings. Not the same as a local independent but that's a part of the gamble.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
What is this, class envy? :p Just kidding!
What i don't understand is how cars are built far more safely theses days yet insurance still goes up. Safety belts, crumble zones, side door beams, M.A.D.D,. anti-lock brakes, built-in security systems, head rests, side air bags, 5 MPH bumpers. collapsable steering columns, fog lights, buckle-up laws... The list goes on and on yet the price of insurance goes up right along with it.
Their is a government entity that governs rate hikes, where are they?

·
Registered
393 Posts
What about me? They have one thing in insurance that is part of your policy; and it is expensive.
If you should get into an accident it pays your lost wages while you are off work. In won't pay me I'am retired. Its an cost on my insurance I feel I should not have to pay.

There are a lot of other people that have to pay; but can't collect
Is this right I don't think so. But it is just another way for the state to get money from you. RB1

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
If you should get into an accident it pays your lost wages while you are off work. In won't pay me I'am retired. Its an cost on my insurance I feel I should not have to pay.
I agree, except.

Same holds true for people that don't have kids .... why should they have to pay for schooling for everyone elses ?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I recently switched from AAA to Amex Insurace through Costco. It literally cut my car insurance in half. I recomend going to Costco website and getting a free quote. I dont think you need to even be a Costco member to get the free quote.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Being a "No Fault State" doesn't help matters one bit.......:(

Melon - I'm on my way right now to check out the Costco Rates - Thanks for the tip.....

My Agent (which is my sister) might be a little upset, but I'd rather keep money in my pocket rather than hers....:eek: :D

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have not shopped insurance, or changed insuracne since about 1988.

I had to change at that time, because I had teeaged drives and the Farm Bureau we had, raised us so high we would have had to take the bus.

At that time, AAA was the cheapest, including the annual membership fee. Since that time we have had a few claims for various reasons, some for accidents and some for theft, and some for weather damage on a camper. They have handled my claims with no hassel what-so-ever, and just recently I found out that I'm still paying the lowest premiums in the family.

I probably won't be doing the 2 years cycle.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I just did the Costco thing too - they said it had to be reviewed more closely due to my answers to their questions.....

But, I dunno why - I'm 30 my wife is 28 we have both had clear records forever, I don't know what is so wrong that they had to look at it closer. Oh well, I guess they don't get out business......Their loss - a big SUV a small sedan and a Motorhome could be worth a few buck to them........:eek:

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea they just did that to me too....Never had a claim, only 2 speedings and an impaired, and that was over 12 years ago. I have been a good boy since then:cool:

I hear what your saying about the no-fault state. When I lived in ATL I could buy full coverage for what PL/PD cost here.

My insurance agent called back and said that I was eligable for a "credit" of some sorts. Knocked it down to a 14% increase. Said that my current carrier, the westfield group, was still the lowest.

I know it is going to go up more anyway. I just bought a 96 intreped to replace a 90 corsica. Not sure how much yet.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Jackster1 - in reply to your comments:

What I don't understand is how cars are built far more safely theses days yet insurance still goes up. Safety belts, crumble zones, side door beams, M.A.D.D,. anti-lock brakes, built-in security systems, head rests, side air bags, 5 MPH bumpers. collapsible steering columns, fog lights, buckle-up laws... The list goes on and on yet the price of insurance goes up right along with it.

Here is the deal. You all probably remember some of the questions your insurance agent will ask you. -- Do you use your seatbelt? Does your vehicle have passenger side air bag etc. etc.etc. -- You sit there and think. Man I must be getting some great discounts for all these safety features, Right? ....

Wrong!!!!. Actually what you are doing is giving the agent plenty of information that is going to cause your rate to go up. -- Yes, I have airbags(rate just went) yes, I have antitheft radio (rate just went up) Yes, I have that sweet and ever protecting head air curtain that new vehicles are coming out with(your rate just went way up).

Why you ask. It is simple. These safety features cost a lot of money to repair. So every time you say Yes to additional safety features you are saying yes to a higher insurance premium(except for your seatbelt). But I think most insurance companies sort of fool people in a way. They say you get a safety discount for all of those airbags and such. You do get a discount for that stuff but I am willing to bet it does not off set the increases in your rate for having them. Don't lie to anyone but try playing the what if game. If your vehicle has air curtain and passenger side airbag tell them it does not have those features. Call back later or ask them to give you a quote for a vehicle with air curtain and passenger airbag and let us know what the difference in cost is. Maybe not much. Or maybe a ton. I guess it would be worth knowing. At least you are not sitting their feeling you are getting these sweet discounts for safety.

·
Administrator
26,688 Posts
To give you guys an idea of what I pay to AAA for 1 year.(my policy runs from Nov to Oct. the following year.) We have a 2002 Olds Intrigue and I paid $ 650 for 1 year.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts