Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a recent night near Hastings, the mini van I was following hit a deer. The doe was badly injured and was suffering on the double yellow line of a dangerous curve. A couple of us stopped to help direct traffic around the deer while we waited for the police to arrive. A State Trooper pulled up presently and quickly sized up the situation. It was obvious that the deer needed to be euthanized. I expected the Trooper to use his side arm but he went back to his cruiser, opened the trunk and came back with what appeared to be an M-16 rifle. After making sure all traffic was stopped, he knelt 10 feet from the flailing doe and with two rapid shots, ended her suffering.

I'm not familiar with police procedure and have been wondering about the Trooper's choice of weapon. Just curious, but why would he not use his side arm? Was it his choice or is was he following procedure?
:confused:

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
is just my opinion - my guess - would be lack of confidence in his side arm - prob. a 9mm - and, well, we all know you can shoot a human 9 times with a 9mm and they can live through it - *pope* - He was doing the animial a favor using the m16 - a sure kill - and less suffering -

ferg....
now if he would have a 45 side arm that would be different :)
:D

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had something similar happen to me. The police man said that if he uses his sidearm, he must fill out a ridiculous amount of paperwork as to why and where he shot his sidearm. This way, he doesn't have to go through with all that.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Why would the cop not have to fill out paperwork after firing his rifle? I have been present on two occasions where county deputies have had to put down injured deer. Both times they used their sidearms. It could have been that that was their only choice, but this is the first I have heard about using a rifle.

I agree with Ferg. If they used a 9mm, it probably wouldn't have even penetrated the skin. On the other hand, you could be two feet off with the .45 and the force of the bullet travelling through the air would have instantly killed the deer :D

·
Premium Member
12,899 Posts
I thought most officers used their throw down gun on deer.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Often times the riffle they have has a soft lead bullet that they can use as well as other designs for different situations, the soft bullet would lose the energy quickly after the inpact. Safer for everyone involved.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
I have a local friend who's a deputy. He said he keeps extra slugs around for his shotgun in the squad car. He said he's done with shooting wounded deer with his pistol. He said he's emptied a whole clip into a crawling deer, more than once, and they still don't die fast enough. One slug ends it fast.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I received this email recently:

hope it helps most depts have a policy that you use the long gun on dispatching an animal it is quicker and more human

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
hate to tell you guys this but the 9mm actually has better pentration than the 45acp! and the 9mm 127+p+ loading has 97% stopper the 45 on the other hand loaded with 230 +p win sxt leo load has about 90% and 2 rounds between your shirt pockets of either and nobody will tell the differance there is only one degree of dead! so tell me which one would you want to be shot with!

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Put some thug in winter clothing or a leather jacket etc, I'll take the 45 every time.
BTW;
I wouldn't want to be shot with a .22 short let alone a 9mm or 45acp....they will all leave a mark.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Ask the POPE that question, I bet he pick the 9mm - and NOT the 45ACP -

ferg....
45 acp anyday -
:eek:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Man, now we{law enforcement} get ripped on how we put deer down..?...Its our choice with what method we use ...Some of you hit on it, Its just more humane and quick with a long gun for the most part..And for the most part most troops are now carrying 40 cal not 9mm anymore...and the m-16 looking thing was prob a HK mp-5 in 223 cal...I Work in a jursidction that has the most car deer accidents in the state, and have put down deer with both my handgun and shotgun depends on location ect.....

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
now that said yes i carry a wilson combat 45 off duty or a sig 220 quite a bit but i bet the job done with a 9mm just as well as far as heavy clothing the 9mm being faster and smaller profile penetrates better through heavy layers better due to its speed and shape, and i know this first hand from testing ammo on gelitian covered with clothing and jackets yes the 45 is great i wont argue that i carry one quite abit, but dont count out the 9mm trust me on that one i have seen first hand what it does to a person! it isnt fun. also the mp-5 in 223 is the model 53/33/93 series

·
Registered
190 Posts
This deputy agrees with deputy..LOL....I have never carried a 9mm, I went frm 357 mag wheel gun to 10mm to a 40cal glock...duty gun,and currently carry 40cal glock off duty and from time to time my old 45acp kimber.....I too have seewn what a 9mm and 45 will do....Boils down to Ammo shot placement and confidence in your ability, and knowing your ability. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts