Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The DNR and insurance companys say there are too many deer getting hit with cars. Here is a question, How many car/deer accidents could have been avoided if the person wasent distracted. We all know that todays drivers are busy doing things in there cars and dont pay as close of attention to the road as they should. Now I know somebody is gonna say "if the deer wasent there they wouldnt hit them". I have hit 5 deer in my driving life(3 at one time) but I can honestly say that I probably wouldnt have hit them if I'd been paying attention to what I was doing. I just thought that it was worth thinking about. just for background I drive on the average 2-300 miles a day on all roads (city,highwayand country) before dawn thru nightfall What do you think:) :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
i believe thats what the insurance company is there for, unforseable events. i agree with you paying attention would help decline car/deer accidents

·
Registered
513 Posts
what car deer accidents? body owns a body shop and car deer accidents was what he made his living on. now he has to rebuild cars to make money.
also uncle is a state police dispatcher for most of the u.p. he said they used to get 1 call a hour for car deer. now he said this fall lucky if they got 5 a shift.

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
Pretty safe to say that paying better attention and driving at slower speeds would reduce the number of all accidents, including car/deer. I don' think you're going out on much of a limb with your premise:D

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Agreed, although of the 3 deer we have hit, two came and ran into the side of the car - so whether I was alert or snoozing wasn't going to matter. The 3rd one was a 60 mph car and a full throttle out of the dark suicidal deer. So for us, it's more a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I have only hit one deer. It was unavoidable. I was going 55 and there was corn on both sides of the road right up to the road. The 4pt buck came running out full speed in front of me. All I had time to do is take my foot of the accelerator pedal. Thankfully I had a brush guard on that truck and damage was minamal.

But Ihave to aggree that if most people were just more observant especialy during the times when deer are moving the most there would be fewer accidents. I have seen people hit deer and it seemed avoidable.

I have come close a few times but if you see deer on the side of the road up ahead then slow down. Also rememeber that if one runs out in front of you slow down there might be more behind it. I have seen alot of people ont slow down at all even if deer are in the road, just trying to weave around them.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have lived in the U.P. all of my life. I have only been in 4 deer-car accidents. I was paying attention, they ran into me. I think alot of car-deer accidents happen even though people are paying attention.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Sorry for taking this somewhat of topic.
There were well over 80,000 car-deer accidents in 1996, over 200,000 died from the abnormal winter we had that year in the U.P. then add in all the other contributing factors and you can see why the herd has so greatly decreased.
I would really like to see someone dig up all the info on how many deer died that year from everything other than deer hunting, Wolves, car/deer accidents, coyotes, winter kill, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.............

It seemed to be the years following 1996 that we really started to see a decrease in numbers in both the NLP and the U.P where we hunt.

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
reddog719 said:
The DNR and insurance companys say there are too many deer getting hit with cars. Here is a question, How many car/deer accidents could have been avoided if the person wasent distracted. We all know that todays drivers are busy doing things in there cars and dont pay as close of attention to the road as they should. Now I know somebody is gonna say "if the deer wasent there they wouldnt hit them". I have hit 5 deer in my driving life(3 at one time) but I can honestly say that I probably wouldnt have hit them if I'd been paying attention to what I was doing. I just thought that it was worth thinking about. just for background I drive on the average 2-300 miles a day on all roads (city,highwayand country) before dawn thru nightfall What do you think:) :)
Please let me know what roads you will driving...and when...so I will know to avoid them.....;)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not quite sure what to make out of snaggs post. The deer i'v hit were a long time ago. cause we all now there arent enough out there to hit anymore. What I ment by my orignal post was the dnr says that the deer herd should be reduced because of too many car-deer accidents. I was just wondering how many could be avoided by people paying more attention to there driving than there cell phones ect. or dont you think that has anything to do with it.I'm sure that such a perfect driver as snaggs doesent even worry about things like this.

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
reddog719 said:
"I probably wouldn't have hit them if I'd been paying attention to what I was doing".............just what do you mean by this...also look at the ;) and once again...let me know where and when you will be on the road so I can avoid driving there....;) ;)

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
hit one last year-killed

was paying attention-jumped out of knowhere, in rush hour traffic. Was going 50 and slammed on brakes and stopped alomost on top of it. It ws a nice 4 pointers in velvet and did less than 1500 damage.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
snaggs by not paying attention I ment watching sides of the roads more carefully. Not watching what I was doing all together

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I've avoided many potential accidents by simply paying attention and being careful in areas where I know deer commonly cross the road.

I think a number of people get in accidents from simply not paying attention.

To broaden that statement, I think a lot of people just suck at driving! :lol:
... A girl I was dating once upon a time smashed into a doe and sent it right up and over the car because she slammed on the brakes and tried to avoid hitting the deer by steering to pass in front of it. :dizzy:

I've been the victum of 2 deer attacks in my truck though. :(
Both incidents were at night and both bucks slammed into my passenger side door. I'd lay more blame on the deer, but my truck is black, so I suppose they had the excuse of not paying more attention either. In each case, there were no deer that crossed prior or after the collisions, just "WHAM!" out of no where and a huge dent in the door I kept having to pop out. In both cases the deer ran off afterwards too.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sounds like I'm the winner so far, I've hit 6 and only 1 was avoidable on my part. I was on a curve watching 3 deer coming from my right because I thought they were going to run in front of me and had one come back from my left that had already crossed. Did zero damage to my truck as did 5 out of the other 6, the only one to do any damage was one that hit the side and dented it behind the rear wheel. I do think that 3 of the deer were talking on a cell phone though when they ran out in front of me.:yikes:

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I've driven over 1,000,000 miles (car and truck) on Michigan roads, most of these miles were on county roads and many were after dark. I have hit exactly 1 deer, with a car back in 1964 or thereabouts. Went over a small knoll and the road was full of deer. Almost was stopped by the time I hit the deer. No damage done to either the car or deer, but I did follow up on the deer to be sure. It was during October so I had hunting clothes and archery equipment in the car. Followed the deer just in case but there wasn't so much as a hair on the road or car. Didn't even bust a lens on the parking light.

On the other hand, though I taught other truck drivers that if they have to make a choice, hit the deer. Not all would though and we had a couple of trucks rolled because they attempted to miss the deer. They could have been hurt bad in the rollover but thankfully were not. After the second one, it appeared we finally got through to them that a deer is not worth severe damage to a human being....and they won't do that much damage to a truck either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts