Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work for Detroit cycleboat and aloha tiki tours and we are looking for a few more captains for the summer. We run 7 days a week, trips are 2hrs each. Pay is hourly plus cash tips. Flexible scheduling.
OUPV/ 6 pack license required, 25 ton prefered.
if interested send a message on Facebook( to aloha tiki tours or detroit cycleboat) or call 231-286-5257.
general questions feel free to ask here also.
Screenshot_20210610-115713_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210610-105222_Facebook.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
10,085 Posts
Does it pay more than 300 a week

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Good luck. I don’t know any “Captains” that would take the risk. Open alcohol, liability on the water and on their way home (Dram Shop Law). Has this been tested in the courts yet.....? I’m sure it will be soon. Do your “due diligence”, consult your insurer and your attorney; in other words, cover your ass, if there is a lawsuit, everyone will be named, including the “Captain”.

Capt James Balzer
USCG certified, 50 ton Master

·
Registered
207 Posts
those "tiki" boats dont look like they would do too well with the large watercraft that send 4 to 5 foot waves on the river....dont think I would take a chance at piloting one of them with other lives on board...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
those "tiki" boats dont look like they would do too well with the large watercraft that send 4 to 5 foot waves on the river....dont think I would take a chance at piloting one of them with other lives on board...
they are surprisingly stable and handle the wake better than you think. out detroit location is out of riverside and we run the no wake side of belle isle. our Scs location runs out of blossom heath and weekend boat traffic/wake from the tuna boats is heavy but never an issue. our wyandotte location just started this year and same as the scs the wake is a non issue.
if thats a concern of yours thats stopping you from doing it call the number and speak with Nick. may be able to let you see how they handle with no one on.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good luck. I don’t know any “Captains” that would take the risk. Open alcohol, liability on the water and on their way home (Dram Shop Law). Has this been tested in the courts yet.....? I’m sure it will be soon. Do your “due diligence”, consult your insurer and your attorney; in other words, cover your ass, if there is a lawsuit, everyone will be named, including the “Captain”.

Capt James Balzer
USCG certified, 50 ton Master

we(captains) are insured through the company some captains have thier own as well. I have not heard of any instances happening because of folks drinking too much the past 3yrs. groups do a good job of policing themselves. only once did I have to stop a trip early because one person was getting too drunk.
if you have any legal questions/ insurance questions please call the number and talk with nick.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
we(captains) are insured through the company some captains have thier own as well. I have not heard of any instances happening because of folks drinking too much the past 3yrs. groups do a good job of policing themselves. only once did I have to stop a trip early because one person was getting too drunk.
if you have any legal questions/ insurance questions please call the number and talk with nick.

Of course you’ve responded with a rational viewpoint. The big difference is that I’ve never allowed alcohol or drugs on my boat, charter or not. My post was meant to open the eyes and minds of the prospects you are trolling for, and give them something to think about. When the **** hits the fan, everyone involved needs to be fully aware and in charge of their reactions....alcohol has no place in a crisis, especially on the water. You may think running these boats out of Harley Ensign on LSC qualifies you to operate on the Detroit River, but I’m here to tell you those two environments have very little in common. Lives are lost every year on the DR; every local I’ve talked with about this thinks that your “business venture” is a bad move and at some point, people will be harmed by this foolishness.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Of course you’ve responded with a rational viewpoint. The big difference is that I’ve never allowed alcohol or drugs on my boat, charter or not. My post was meant to open the eyes and minds of the prospects you are trolling for, and give them something to think about. When the **** hits the fan, everyone involved needs to be fully aware and in charge of their reactions....alcohol has no place in a crisis, especially on the water. You may think running these boats out of Harley Ensign on LSC qualifies you to operate on the Detroit River, but I’m here to tell you those two environments have very little in common. Lives are lost every year on the DR; every local I’ve talked with about this thinks that your “business venture” is a bad move and at some point, people will be harmed by this foolishness.

There's no need to be irrational also its not my style. Your right there is an inherent risk being on the water and when alcohol is involved it does shoot up. Of the thousands of trips we have already done the fact we have not had a incident speaks more about the captains that we have and I hope it continues.

Again you are correct running out of blossom heath and the Detroit River are different environments. We have people that are uncomfortable with one or the other so they work in that one location instead of both. Lives are lost in both bodies of water ,a week and a half ago CG was doing a search for missing noater in lsc, I believe his body was found the following Sunday. speaking with the CG on that Sunday the found three bodies in the DR( I know nothing of how they ended up there)

IMO the lsc location is the more dangerous due to the numbers and size of boats that operate the area.. not to mention the amount of intoxicated boaters coming from the waterfront restaurants and party spots. all of which I feel is reflected by the CG and law enforcement presence that is up there patroling daily.

Like you I have also talked to people locals included who feel this is a foolish/ dumb business venture before and after I started driving them. Just like charter fishing and anything else in life you need to be aware of the risks associated with it and competent enough deal with it when it happens. Just don't get complacent

Its apparent that you like many others don't agree with it which is fine. I do however want to thank you for keeping it a discussion and raising valid concerns/ points and not just s#!+!ng all over it saying its a horrible idea, should never be on the water, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Capt/Attorney Double Jay: I think the tiki/party boats are byob. Isn't dram shop law for alcohol providers, and not hosts? To keep this fishing, they are jumping in the boat in 20 fow in Brest Bay, with crawlers up high, although it took a little longer today than yesterday (maybe bc of more fish flies?).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts