Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
6,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to past high winds and very dirty water and todays east wibd called for a tasty meal...

Today dinner was a bowl ( or 3) of creamy smoked walleye chowder. The side was a hot Bacon Lettuce, Tomato Sammich... (or was the chowder the side) both were very tasty and hit the spot.

· Registered
6,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would love to see that chowder recipe. I'm looking for a good one for my walleye cheeks.

· Registered
6,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats the original. Not much has changed. I add a equal ammount chopped celery as onion. Replace bacon grease with butter.

For a thicker broth add a coupke table spoons flour to 1/2 cup cold water, mix and add to chowder prior to half and half.... whipping cream works well also.

· Registered
2,498 Posts
Thats the original. Not much has changed. I add a equal ammount chopped celery as onion. Replace bacon grease with butter.

For a thicker broth add a coupke table spoons flour to 1/2 cup cold water, mix and add to chowder prior to half and half.... whipping cream works well also.
You had me right up to "replace the bacon grease"

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

· Registered
1,134 Posts
That looks amazing!!

· Registered
2,104 Posts
Invite me over next time

Reactions: Skinner 2

· Registered
6,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Ron,

Do you smoke the walleye prior to making the soup or does the bacon add the smoke flavor?
All the fish are smoked prior...they go from cleaned to brine, to smoker, to vac sealer vefore seeibg a freezer. Cheeks are not smoked and no smoke flavor added.

How many Walleye cheeks does it take to make a quart?
Hard to say. Depends on size of walleye. Takes more than a few trips to gather them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.