Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, thats right just a cap. I had to do some hauling with the truck so I brought my gun in one night. I put it back in the truck this morning to cool down. I guess the one night was all it took to condinsate when I brought it in and when I took it back out.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
Bummer. Been there, done that. Were you using loose powder or pellets? What kind of cap?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
That happened to me once also. I learned a valuable lesson so it won't happen again

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
That Hurts!
But it's good to hear that with all the modern technology
nowadays that muzzzleloading is still muzzleloading.
Breaking one of the Golden Rules is not a good thing.
Good post though, you may have saved someone else
from the same fate.

Mike

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yup, one day my partner and i hunted all day long on a snowy day and decided to shoot them into the ground at dark so we could clean them and neither gun went off. had to "cap" them repeatedly. glad it was a fruitless hunt!

·
Super Moderator
6,904 Posts
after reading your post i went back over my gun just to make sure it was ready for the morning. after loading it i leave my gun in my barn. also in wet conditions i will put a small piece of saran wrap over the end of the barrel held on with a small rubber band to keep water out.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I to have been there.one hint about the saran wrap is to put a pin hole in it after it`s over the barrel. I have had condensation build up on the inside of the wrap. Not good. Also watch those heated deer shaks, any change in temp can cause problems. If my scope foggs from a sudden temp change then I assume my powder is also drawing moisture. Even something as minor as holding your hand on the barrel with the gun across your lap can cause problems on very cold days. I still LOVE them smokepoles tho Good Luck

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I hunt with a TC New Englander and just switched to the Musket Caps for this season after being prompted by a friend. They are real large and pack a significantly higher charge. More fire less chance of Miss Fire!?! Anyone else have any experience with the Musket Caps on traditional ML's.

Bob Urban

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Sounds like Fixblade's problem was created by temp change creating the condensed moisture by moving his smokepole from a cold area to a warm one.I always keep mine in a cold enviornment once I go hunting.Then there is only a very slight chance for condensation.

I keep a balloon over the muzzle all the time and a trimmed-to-fit plastic cap over the nipple when the cap is off and it's loaded w/powder.This keeps external moisture from entering.

When I do bring it in to a warm area,I first encase it in a thick softcase and then enter.This insulates my ML from the warm area and allows it to adjust to the warmer space very slowly preventing the formation of condensate. Works for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts