Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time long time. Been reading you guys for two years. You all are true sportsman. Unbelievable amount of info shared. Representing The D. Thank you

With that said - I've been fishing inland lakes for 40+ years. Well I picked up a brand new Lund Rebel 1600 w the Merc 40 last Friday. Its time for the river. The last piece I need is a fish finder. That's why I'm posting. Would love some feed back on Brand/Model. I'm not cheap but don't need over the top either. Would like it to do the main things well.

Looking forward to your feedback
Thanks - Jim

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
I won't try and steer you one way or another on brand or model. I agree to get the biggest screen you can afford. I do however suggest checking out www.bbgmarine.com

I've purchased setups for 4 different boats in the last 6 years from Brian (some mine, some for others). He has saved me thousands of dollars over the box stores. If you have any questions, you can email him or shoot him a call and you WILL get him directly! Shipping is flat rate (usually less than 9 bucks) and most of the time you get your stuff in 2 days. Can't get that from the box stores.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
IMO you do not need all that much for the D.....It's all personal preference and how much your into electronics.....my brother got a 12" Hum. this spring and it's ridiculous heavy and bulky, sure is nice to look at but I was fine with our old 5" Low...lol....

A 16'er is a great fishing boat for the D....if it's tiller you are perfect for backtrolling !....if not an 8 or 9.9 kicker would be awesome....good luck out there....cheers....

·
Administrator
18,561 Posts
IMO you do not need all that much for the D.....It's all personal preference and how much your into electronics.....my brother got a 12" Hum. this spring and it's ridiculous heavy and bulky, sure is nice to look at but I was fine with our old 5" Low...lol....

A 16'er is a great fishing boat for the D....if it's tiller you are perfect for backtrolling !....if not an 8 or 9.9 kicker would be awesome....good luck out there....cheers....
I agree! Bells and whistles are nice, but to slam the fish all you really need is an accurate depth finder.
<----<<<

·
Registered
198 Posts
being that Humminbird only promotes the Helix brand now. I'd look for last years model 600, 800, 1200 etc and up series. I purchased a 688HD DI for the Bow under $250.00 Cabelas. and for the Helm a 859 KVD DI with the navionics chip for around 405.00 from Walmart.com. Walmart.com has free 2 day shipping on most items over $35.00. Free shipping to the store near you on anything from the site to the store. I would say over 90% of the things on my rig came from Walmart. there prices are unbeatable. I totally redid my 80 starcraft from the floor up.

·
Banned
3,519 Posts
JMO, but a 7"-9" screen on that size boat would be perfect, without overkill. Right now, they're prepping my new 16'4" Alumacraft, and installing a Helix 7, DI, GPS, CHIRP on a Ram mount on top of the console.

Reactions: J Sibert

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
No matter what you buy in a year or two something new will come along. I am craving rhe new self-mapping option as maps tend to miss subtle features. Want my next finder to "talk" to my trolling motor as well as to other finders on the boat. If GPS combo unit...go BIG!

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.