Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the range during my lunch break to check the zero on my -06, and 12ga. The 06 is on, but the 12 ga wouldn't group after about the 4th shot. How hot does the barrel need to get to add up to wandering lead?

A little background: New remington slug barrel, with new Nikon slughunter scope shooting Hornady SST 2 3/4. Had it zeroed for early anterless season at 50 yards.

Now: First two shots @ 50 were a little high and @ 100 yards, the bullet didn't seem to drop at all, maybe even a little high using the crosshairs. I was expecting the bullet to drop into the 100 yard circle of the Nikon BDC as it should have.

Tryied Remington accutips: 1/2 inch high at 50 (shot once using crosshairs) 1 inch low at 100 using the 100 yard circle (Nikon BDC).

Before I left, I tried back @ 50 again using crosshairs and the remingtons were 3 inches low and didn't group worth crap. I spent an hour at the range and switched between the 06 and the 12 ga, to try to avoid shooting a heated barrel. Never once did the barrel seem hot....warm yet, but not hot.

Indoor range, with good rest and plenty of sand bags. Checked all screws, and everything seem locked down tight.

What gives? Try to give me the benefit of the doubt and don't assume any flinching.

·
Registered
521 Posts
first i would clean the barrel with a good solvent and brush. After shooting the sabot slugs, sometime the groves in a rifled barrell start to get a plastic build up.

Second and this often happens when you have a newly mounted scope. Check the screws that mount the brackets to the gun. for some reason, after a few shots they will loosen and cause the groups to expand. This requires taking the scope off the gun, but it often cures the problems.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I went to the range during my lunch break to check the zero on my -06, and 12ga. The 06 is on, but the 12 ga wouldn't group after about the 4th shot. How hot does the barrel need to get to add up to wandering lead?

A little background: New remington slug barrel, with new Nikon slughunter scope shooting Hornady SST 2 3/4. Had it zeroed for early anterless season at 50 yards.

Now: First two shots @ 50 were a little high and @ 100 yards, the bullet didn't seem to drop at all, maybe even a little high using the crosshairs. I was expecting the bullet to drop into the 100 yard circle of the Nikon BDC as it should have.

Tryied Remington accutips: 1/2 inch high at 50 (shot once using crosshairs) 1 inch low at 100 using the 100 yard circle (Nikon BDC).

Before I left, I tried back @ 50 again using crosshairs and the remingtons were 3 inches low and didn't group worth crap. I spent an hour at the range and switched between the 06 and the 12 ga, to try to avoid shooting a heated barrel. Never once did the barrel seem hot....warm yet, but not hot.

Indoor range, with good rest and plenty of sand bags. Checked all screws, and everything seem locked down tight.

What gives? Try to give me the benefit of the doubt and don't assume any flinching.
Use either brake or carb cleaner that contains acetone to clean the inside of the barrel. The acetone will melt the plastic from the sabots. Also, there isn't a lot of metal on a shotgun barrel, and they heat up really quick. On the flip side, they cool down quicker as well, but you still need to give them some time between shots. The fact that you're using an indoor range is going to extend the time it takes to cool down.

Shoot a fouling round and let the gun sit for a while. Try to then take a shot at 50 with a cool barrel and see where it hits. Depending on what happens with that shot, after it cools down again either shoot another to confirm, or try one at 100. I'm not convinced that those one size fits all trajectory reticles are worth a damn myself, but if it has historically got you in the ballpark than something else might be going on. As long as you're sure the mounting is good (didn't mention if this is a cantilever or not), there is a chance that the scope got knocked out of whack at some point. Not really what you want to hear 11 days before the opener, but at least you have time to do something about it if need be.

·
Registered
826 Posts
12 guage for That sabot is zero at 25 and zero at 100. plus or minus .025 inches
Check ballistics on the website for that slug that you are shooting.

·
Registered
473 Posts
In my gun the sst's would shoot 3 -4 into a nice group at 100 yards and then send the fifth round as a flyer. Did this multiple times to prove it wasn't me. They just didn't have the consistancy I was looking for. Switched to Barnes Expanders = problem solved.

·
Registered
792 Posts
When I went to the range the other day, I was shooting barnes expanders in 2 3/4in and it wasnt grouping that well at all. Switched to 3 in barnes expanders and had two shots right on top of each other. Some times its the ammo, some times its the gun and some times its the shooter...

When a range officer was helping me sight in at 25 yards he said you flinch or jerk the trigger no one can help you...

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to take the advice and clean my barrel with a good powerful solvent, and try another brand of shells.

Dang this is getting expensive!

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I'm going to take the advice and clean my barrel with a good powerful solvent, and try another brand of shells.

Dang this is getting expensive!
Like mentioned, Make sure that solvent works on plastic or your just wasting your time. Not all solvents do, so check carefully!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Like mentioned, Make sure that solvent works on plastic or your just wasting your time. Not all solvents do, so check carefully!
Automotive brake cleaner works well and is cheap - just make sure you don't buy the 'Green' non-chlorinated [plastic safe] variety!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts