Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a long time since I've purchased a Canadian Duck Hunting Licence. Does any one know the routine and the cost?
Thanks,

·
Registered
424 Posts
First you need to get your shotgun into the country. Register it at U.S. Customs first, then declare the gun at the Canadian border and let them know that you need to register your gun(s).

Next get your Canadian Duck Stamp at a Canada Post Office; about $20. us.

Then get your Ontario Non-Resident Hunting License. Be sure to have a current or past hunting license with you! Ideally have an old Michigan hunting license that you can get the place that writes your license (one less form). A Non-Resident license is usually about $110. us.

Remember, the laws are very different over there. Private land lines can reach into the water for 1 mile, so know where you're going! And you must be within 300 metres within a property line or weed bed.

Jeff at Webbedconnection (we hunt, too!)

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
And you must be within 300 metres within a property line or weed bed.
? I just thought that was a suggestion? :p

If you're popping through Windsor side, there's a bait shop right by the bridge called Wally's (I believe). I believe they have the stamp as well. if not, the PO is right up the street.

coming through Algonac, your other easy option is to pick it up at the Oaks Inn in Wallaceburg. they'll have both, but I recommend you call them first. they only bring in a few, but being the nice canadians they are, they've made a special trip to the PO for me so that when I arrive, it's ready and waiting.

Can't help yah with Port Huron.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Is it worth the trouble to make an effort to hunt over there?

Is it hard to find an area to hunt? I have ice fished the Mitchell's bay area and noticed that the area looks great for waterfowl hunting.

I have always had great experiences in Canada and am considering making the plunge.

I just can't afford to hire guides etc....

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Hey Cardinal~
If you don't want to hire guides, you could still freelance. I used to in Mitchell's Bay. You have to open water boat blind hunt, because you cannot hunt inside of the "stake line". That is the tree saplings with signs on them. And, you can't be 300 meters PAST the stake line. So, you basically have a 300 meter corridor all around Walpole going all the way past Tick Tock point to St. Lukes.
I would say, yes to layout shooting, no to early season puddle ducks, yes to flight Mallards.
Prepare to pay $60.00 US for the license, $8.00 US for the ferry, $30.00 US for the gun importation fee(one time only)
I believe you could RV camp at a place called Bass Haven, if the Oaks Inn in Wallaceburg is too much.
I used to do it, and even made a great friend with my indian guide, Stacey Kicknosway. But, I just can't commit the time to justify the expense.
Happy Hunting

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Forgot Canadian Duck Stamp, $30.00 more USD.

If you are retired and can go during the week, I would say h**l yeah!
And, if you're a taxidermist that needs prime Cans and other birds, the later hunts produce bettter plummage.
But, if you're a weekend warrior, it's Saturday only, and that bay gets crowded early in the year. Plus, it's only huntable in calm winds, North and East winds. You'll be in 3-4 footers in a South or West wind, which are prevailing that time of year.:SHOCKED:

Still interested?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Forgot Canadian Duck Stamp, $30.00 more USD.

If you are retired and can go during the week, I would say h**l yeah!
And, if you're a taxidermist that needs prime Cans and other birds, the later hunts produce bettter plummage.
But, if you're a weekend warrior, it's Saturday only, and that bay gets crowded early in the year. Plus, it's only huntable in calm winds, North and East winds. You'll be in 3-4 footers in a South or West wind, which are prevailing that time of year.:SHOCKED:

Still interested?
Waxico,

Sounds like a lot to go through. I would do it if the opportunities were a lot better than they are here in Michigan. From the sounds of it though, we have just as much to offer here. I am downriver anyways so I think I will cast my lot there.

Thanks, for the info!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
If you're downriver, the area near Fighting Island, Amhearstburg and Rondeau Bay are good choices. You wouldn't be taking your place in the gun line in Mitchell's Bay.
I don't know where customs is down there, though.

Heck, I've heard the shooting between Fighting Island and Grosse Isle is glorious, you should have all the gunning you need in that area.

·
Registered
36,658 Posts
Here's the form that you will need to bring your firearm into Canada.
http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/online-en_ligne/form-assistance/indiv_forms/910_e.asp

If you plan on going a number of times make sure that you note it on the form, you will only have to pay the fee one time. Make multiple copies before you go (you really only need two copies).

Don't forget to stop at US customs and fill out your firearm declaration form before you leave the US. Bring you passport, if you don't have it go to the post office and apply for one. All it takes is your birth certificate and a little less than $100.00. Turn around time is less than two weeks right now. My daughter applied the first week of August and has hers back already. My passport application took 2 week at Christmas time.

If you've had any legal trouble in the US you may have a problem going into Canada, this includes any alcohol related issues. They will let you in with an impaired but it will cost you $200.00 plus a couple of hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts