Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are people out there wondering about the call in procedure and how things have been working with crossing the border. Sunday was the 4th time I've crossed this year, each with the same result. As soon as I cross the border I call 1-888-CAN-PASS, report who is on the boat, their DOB, where we are going to fish and how long we'll be in Canada. They ask if we are going to touch land, if we have any weapons, alcohol or tobacco, etc. After that they have given me a confirmation call in number and wished me luck fishing. Has taken about 3 minutes on average and haven't been asked to report directly to am inspection site yet. Figured I'd put up an update for those still worried about the new process.

·
Banned
640 Posts
not that I have any problems...but what about those who have had dui...a few of my buds are concerned about this...have you heard anything about this issue that used to not be an issue if they were just fishing and not "landing" on shore

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
157 Posts
DUI.... good luck, what I've heard and at the bridge they turn you around. A DUI in canada is a big no no.

·
Registered
414 Posts
They ask if we are going to touch land, if we have any weapons, alcohol or tobacco, etc. After that they have given me a confirmation call in number and wished me luck fishing.
And have you had any alcohol on board? Wondering if my buds can still take their "supplies" across and we stay out of trouble....

·
Banned
640 Posts
DUI.... good luck, what I've heard and at the bridge they turn you around. A DUI in canada is a big no no.
Not crossing at the bridge...we all know that.....wondering about crossing in a boat for fishing

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
One question Luckystrike. Have you had any luck??? I mean if they wish you good luck on the fishing for that day...How has that worked out for you this season?? ;)

Or did you have better luck before you started calling in. I am supersticious.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
And have you had any alcohol on board? Wondering if my buds can still take their "supplies" across and we stay out of trouble....
i told them i had a few beers...they asked how many was a few...i said 8...no problem.

just once i'd like to say "yeah i have $12,000 in my pockets".... :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ted- Either the Canadians or Walleye Gods have put a curse on me. Last weekend I struggled for so long I switched up and tried to catch rockers or sheep and couldn't hook up with them either. I'm pretty sure the walleye know that I'm done releasing them for a while and don't approve of my fillet knife intentions. Keep rubbing it in, I'll have the luck of the thumbless wonder on the 16th.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The part I dont like is the phone bill.$17.00 last month.weve been put on hold multiple times.depending on who answers some will let you call from the us. dock and others make you call after entering canadtan waters.most woman we talked to so far have been very nice but watch it, theres one with a very bad attitude. fishing costs enough without the unnessisary calls to canada

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ted- Either the Canadians or Walleye Gods have put a curse on me. Last weekend I struggled for so long I switched up and tried to catch rockers or sheep and couldn't hook up with them either. I'm pretty sure the walleye know that I'm done releasing them for a while and don't approve of my fillet knife intentions. Keep rubbing it in, I'll have the luck of the thumbless wonder on the 16th.
Steve told me you are a bass guy now, I don't think you can weigh them in on the 16th.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We were down in Wyandotte a few weeks ago and tried to cross. One person on the boat had a DUI 6 years ago. Denied. Agent on the phone stated that "they go back ten years"...

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
We were down in Wyandotte a few weeks ago and tried to cross. One person on the boat had a DUI 6 years ago. Denied. Agent on the phone stated that "they go back ten years"...
The DUI is considered a felony in Canada and they will wait 10 years before you have been rehabilitated. Stay out of trouble and eventually it will be OK. If they deny you access at the bridge or tunnel then they will probably deny access just to fish.

If the DUI is over 5 years but under 10 the person can get an attorney and have him work on getting it reconsidered--not in the US but by the Canadian courts.

There have been several articles which have appeared in the newspapers on this issue. Maybe someone with one of those high-speed internet connections will post the links. Otherwise, read the newspaper, especially the Sunday paper which will have the travel section.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts