Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Canadian Black Forage Peas

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  RIVERAT 
#1 ·
For a couple people who have asked, here is the information on the Canadian Winter Peas.

The peas came from:

Cisco Seed Companies and are listed as Black Forage Canadian Peas (no variety stated) Product of Canada.

Planted July 5th with soybeans - now 3-5' in height

See less See more
#3 ·
RR - they are designed to stay green all winter. We'll see if that is the case. Last year I planted Austrian peas and were not impressed, so I did some searching with my local exchange and found these. They are supposed be planted in the spring or fall. I just did not follow the instructions. Have two other plots as well and the plants are about 6" tall from a planting 2 weeks ago, right when our dry weather began. They seem to be like soybeans, and like it dry and hot. You can see that they are just starting to flower as well. The deer are eating them about equal to the beans.

#5 ·
RR - they are designed to stay green all winter. We'll see if that is the case. Last year I planted Austrian peas and were not impressed, so I did some searching with my local exchange and found these. They are supposed be planted in the spring or fall. I just did not follow the instructions. Have two other plots as well and the plants are about 6" tall from a planting 2 weeks ago, right when our dry weather began. They seem to be like soybeans, and like it dry and hot. You can see that they are just starting to flower as well. The deer are eating them about equal to the beans.

I'm always intrested with anything new, especially a forage which continues to produce after heavy frost when other comparables would be toast. Thanks for the info, and keep us posted into the fall.

#7 ·
Koz-
With my experience with winter peas, how did you keep the deer out of them? I know you have other food readily available, but whats the secret to let them grow that big? Mine got browsed so heavy they never got to be 6" tall..... thanx in advance...
Kotz

#8 · (Edited)
Koz-
With my experience with winter peas, how did you keep the deer out of them? I know you have other food readily available, but whats the secret to let them grow that big? Mine got browsed so heavy they never got to be 6" tall..... thanx in advance...
Kotz
Mainly 12 other food plots, including some real desireable ones this time of year, forage everywhere due to an excellent growing season, and owning property in the heart of agricultural country. No one is going hungry over here, and in general our deer densities are not high except when winter yard up occurs.

Don't be fooled too much, though, this plot is getting hit hard right now, but I planted it very thick and dense (a plant every inch) and when one gets eaten, another one pops up. Had I not planted it so heavy, it would be in bad shape right now. So this might be something worth considering when planting in heavy browsing areas. See tips bitten off in photo.

Once the ag crops around me are cut, that is when the deer densities on my land increase.

If you were trying to put this plot in, on ground that does not have ag around it, and a high concentration of deer, you will probably have a tough time getting it to go.

This was an experiment this year, and thought I would give it a try and it seems to be working out great. Can't wait to try some more stuff next year to see if there is a right calculation of seeds, soil and timing to get what RR is describing above. Hopefully I can share some ideas with folks here, many of whom have really helped me the last couple of years. Koz

#9 ·
Koz,

If what you are saying is correct, the renewable legumes like Ladino, Kura and Falcata sound like the way to go. The latter two species I have planted and am just seeing signs of them getting started.

You have a great experiment going, and I would also like to know later on how your Kura and Falcata stack up against the Canadian Peas in mid to late fall preference/persistence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.