Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made the run to the Belle River hump looking for perch. Caught a couple dinks and one keeper after 3 moves. No boats fishing for perch. Moved to Mitchell's Bay and fished in 14'. Bite was slow but ended up with 24 nice perch 9" to 11" after 6 hours. Must have made 7 moves picking up 2 to 3 fish per move. Used dead minnows as required in Canada. Obviously the fish have not schooled up yet, water temp was 69F.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I’ve been out last 2 weekends searching for them convicts. First around 400 club then GPYC. Nothin good to report. A few here and there. Caught more smallies than perch, fun but not what I’m lookin for. Need that water temp to drop a bit. 70 on Sunday, this weeks warm up will not help.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Made the run to the Belle River hump looking for perch. Caught a couple dinks and one keeper after 3 moves. No boats fishing for perch. Moved to Mitchell's Bay and fished in 14'. Bite was slow but ended up with 24 nice perch 9" to 11" after 6 hours. Must have made 7 moves picking up 2 to 3 fish per move. Used dead minnows as required in Canada. Obviously the fish have not schooled up yet, water temp was 69F.
I never bothered to check, so I'll ask you Jimnterry. What is the perch limit in Canadian waters?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve been out last 2 weekends searching for them convicts. First around 400 club then GPYC. Nothin good to report. A few here and there. Caught more smallies than perch, fun but not what I’m lookin for. Need that water temp to drop a bit. 70 on Sunday, this weeks warm up will not help.
The Smallies were snappin in Canada also. Caught about 5 and one broke the line and took my perch rig - they can be a pain when perchin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wondering why dead minnows are required in Canada?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Do not know the actual law,reason or details. But live minnows need to be purchased in Canada or you can use dead minnows. Make sure they are not any game species mixed in with your bait such as perch, pan fish. Live minnows not purchased in Canada cost me around $300 a few years ago. Also he said he could have given me another ticket because I had bait with games species mixed in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do not know the actual law,reason or details. But live minnows need to be purchased in Canada or you can use dead minnows. Make sure they are not any game species mixed in with your bait such as perch, pan fish. Live minnows not purchased in Canada cost me around $300 a few years ago. Also he said he could have given me another ticket because I had bait with games species mixed in.
I'm sure it's attempt to limit foreign species and and/or some type of marine diseases. Not sure how this works when US bought live minnows are used in US waters. I bought my minnows at Sportsman Direct and they were not the typical shiner species. They were flat and wide and spun like a spinner blade when letting down and especially when reeling up. It tended to spin the 6" leader line on the spreaders. Not sure what they were but the perch liked them.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
I'm sure it's attempt to limit foreign species and and/or some type of marine diseases. Not sure how this works when US bought live minnows are used in US waters. I bought my minnows at Sportsman Direct and they were not the typical shiner species. They were flat and wide and spun like a spinner blade when letting down and especially when reeling up. It tended to spin the 6" leader line on the spreaders. Not sure what they were but the perch liked them.
Don't know if this regulation is still in effect in Canada, but when I iced fish there and bought minnows at their bait shop, I was informed that all un used bait be either brought back to the bait shop or taken home with you. If caught dumping bait back into the hole or thrown on the ice, a hefty fine will be given. If take them home is still the rule, why is it ok for their bait to come to American waters, but American bait not allowed in Canadian waters???????????

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
The Smallies were snappin in Canada also. Caught about 5 and one broke the line and took my perch rig - they can be a pain when perchin.
That's so funny and typical. I have been having trouble finding smallies, yet consistently have perch chasing my baits, or biting the tails off my swimbaits. Yet the perch guys always complain about all the Smallies they catch. I guess I just need to go perch fishing to find the smallmouth. I know that where there are perch, you will usually find smallies.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I'm sure it's attempt to limit foreign species and and/or some type of marine diseases. Not sure how this works when US bought live minnows are used in US waters..
It's a ridiculous rule no matter how you slice it. I totally get the reasoning behind the ban, however, it makes zero sense on boundary waters like LSC, SCR or D-River. They should be excluded from the ban. Unless Trump builds a "big beautiful wall" down the center of LSC, then there is nothing stopping the minnows we use on our side from swimming over to the CAN side. Not to mention the fact that most of the minnows that are sold in the bait shops around here are captured from these waters anyway.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I have fought that rule on LSC & the Detroit River. I have called several Ontario fisheries management people and written the head of the Fisheries Ministry. They have a ban on importing live minnows. That's what they say we do by coming by boat to fish their side. They said it's to protect against disease and to protect their minnow wholesalers. But Michigan is concerned about disease as well and when we use them 10 yards on our side of the international boundary there is no difference to using them on their side. And we are not competing with their wholesalers. Many Michigan bait shops import them from Ontario. They did say they have many shared jurisdictional waters not just these and were worried about making too many exceptions. But they have also had a big decline the number of Michigan anglers buying non-resident Ontario licenses costing them big bucks. A lot of that decline is due to this rule. They had a review of their live bait management a few years ago and supposedly talked about this, but did nothing. Just sad.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Did you bottom bounce perch rigs or or drop shot or throw slip bobbers to find the perch when you make the moves. Nice report very promising!

·
Registered
124 Posts
That minnow rule is totally ignorant. The other one that makes me laugh are the crawlers. “Product of Canada” but not allowed in soil?

The perch have been slow for me, I have been catching more when targeting other species. Hopefully I’ll be out in the next couple weeks, thanks for the report!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts