Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
my go to rod is 10 dollar gander rod. And the dozen or so st.croix rods I have, I have not touched in 5 years. I have had 400 dollar loomis rods. But nothing compares to it, so sensitive and light and the perfect action for jigging
Care to elaborate on this $10 Gander rod?

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Last year I started bottom bouncing the day the governor said we could go back on the boat I think it was April 28th. It was the earliest I had run the program. I got my limit in 3 or 4 passes. I just stay on the outside of the pack. I have more problems with the guys on shore than Lances Army. Can't wait until we are back out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Uhh, maybe just try it and see how you do?

You can also just look for a slight south wind and jig without a trolling motor.

For those of you stuggling to feel the bottom I suggest stopping at one of the new green shops on Jefferson before you launch. I promise your feel will be much improved.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I’ve seen bow riders with homemade mounts out there but not many. Using a different style boat would be ideal.

If that boat is your only option I’d wait till the water gets close to 50 degrees and then start pulling harnesses during the day and/or idle upstream pulling lures at night.
Heck I watched a guy jigging and catching on a Sea Doo, in MC last year.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote "I can say this for certain, lol....I'm gonna try harness's into the current in April !?"

Ok mr. 50" If you are going to go against the current, we call that "wire lining" or "pulling wire" much easier than dragging a bottom bouncer. (against the current) with way more control and much ! much! more productivity. Get into that.
Unless of coarse you're just trying to be disruptive and piss off a lot of fishermen then that sounds like the thing to try, on Saturday, in Trenton, in April. LOL
PLEASE pm me when you are going to do that, I will be there.
Tight lines.

·
Super Moderator
35,305 Posts
Quote "I can say this for certain, lol....I'm gonna try harness's into the current in April !?"

Ok mr. 50" If you are going to go against the current, we call that "wire lining" or "pulling wire" much easier than dragging a bottom bouncer. (against the current) with way more control and much ! much! more productivity. Get into that.
Unless of coarse you're just trying to be disruptive and piss off a lot of fishermen then that sounds like the thing to try, on Saturday, in Trenton, in April. LOL
Tight lines.
He doesn't fish there. Or really in any crowd for that matter.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just saying, you want to go up stream, pull wire. You don't care about the meat, ie. limits...fish the lake. Those boys are serious out there, most only get a day or two to fish, or less. Its already a zoo, just ask a wire liner.

·
Super Moderator
35,305 Posts
Just saying, you want to go up stream, pull wire. You don't care about the meat, ie. limits...fish the lake. Those boys are serious out there, most only get a day or two to fish, or less. Its already a zoo, just ask a wire liner.
I've seen tourney guys BB heavy rigs upstream. It works.

Something tells me there's a fair chance he has more experience on the DR than your years on earth. I agree it shouldn't be done in a pack but there are LOTS of places to fish outside a pack. Not everyone desires to fish the lake.

But thanks for your concern.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts

Tight lines.
:) & jeeze ?, lol....no, I won't be doing it into a "pack"....don't know about everyone else but myself & brother learn new things every single year fishing this river....we alone have well over 100 years on the water/river, that's just the 2 of us, lol....good Lord....and still learning....

I know one hardcore handliner, who doesn't even own a fishing pole ?!?! LOL !!!....he's been out there longer than me too....I like a rod & reel and can only eat and or give away so many fish....

Not sure what your point is, but mine was, going into current with a harness does work and the "speed" over ground with that blade is much slower than conventionally going down & faster than the current....which might be a "new" tactic in cold water, at least to me....

Once jigging in spring is "over"....handliners always out produce other methods, imo....been that way a long time....in the river....cheers....

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Some comments in here crack me up.

Trolling BB with harnesses upstream is not a new thing. Its a great way to work a drop off. Not only does it. Work with harnesses, it works with rapalas, flatfish, and other body baits. Can't say I have tried it in april, I just don't recall when.

Group fun. Last spring we were on a good drift, not alone on it. One guy cannot control his boat so he decides to anchor up in the drift....two boats ( buddies) run up for another drift. They are about 10 to 15 feet apart and talking with each other. Guy anchored is casting away.....

Soon the first drifting boat is riding the anchor rope and gets the bow in the middle of his rig. Before they can react the buddies drift right into the pack. Now all three boats are together and pulling the anchor downstream...

What surprised me the most was the guys anchored never looked upstream. Guys drifting didn't look down stream enought.... and I didn't think to recored it.

Fwiw. Wouldn't worry about 50. Read enough from him over time to know he's not a fan of packs.

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
I’m surprised the most obvious solution to the OP’s problem hasn’t been mentioned yet. Just get some heavier jigs. I can jig a 4 oz blade bait on 65 pound braid without ever touching the trolling motor and stay in contact with the bottom. You could probably get away with a 2-3 oz jig on walleye equipment with much thinner line.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I’m surprised the most obvious solution to the OP’s problem hasn’t been mentioned yet. Just get some heavier jigs. I can jig a 4 oz blade bait on 65 pound braid without ever touching the trolling motor and stay in contact with the bottom. You could probably get away with a 2-3 oz jig on walleye equipment with much thinner line.
Thanks! I'll definitely try that! As well as going out on days when the wind is opposite the current.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
When I had a glass bow rider back in the 80's I built a platform out of a piece of 2x6 deck lumber. I just cut out the bottom to fit the contour of the boat where it was mounted.

Then I painted it white, worked for me at the time

·
Registered
69 Posts
My vote would be to try a transom mount trolling motor , much cheaper than a bow mount if you cant mount it right to the transom you could mount a bracket. They make handle extension if needed. A picture of the boat woiuld help. Good luck out there.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Yeah but it's much much easier to pull the boat from the bow to follow your line to keep it vertical while jigging than to push it from the back. What exact boat is it? I am upgrading my bow mount (should be here today) and will be selling my old one. It's a nice unit. Depending on what boat you have it might work for you.

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
Yeah but it's much much easier to pull the boat from the bow to follow your line to keep it vertical while jigging than to push it from the back. What exact boat is it? I am upgrading my bow mount (should be here today) and will be selling my old one. It's a nice unit. Depending on what boat you have it might work for you.
You don't push the boat from the back with a transom mount. You pull the boat into the wind and it's much easier. Splash guards help.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
OK then you are putting the transom against the current of the detroit river? You can do that I won't.

·
Super Moderator
35,305 Posts
OK then you are putting the transom against the current of the detroit river? You can do that I won't.
Why not? You do it with a bow mount on a south wind already. Wouldn't troll upstream with the transom to the current but slipping down with the current, yes of course.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I guess I am talking about something different. I am talking trying to jig not troll

I thought his point was he was going to troll becasue his boat was not setup to jig, I was just trying to help him set it up to jig

Excuse me, the muscle relaxers must be working

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I don’t jig , but do drift with bottom bouncers and catch fish in mid to late April . As said already speed is key , you have to go just fast enough to get blade spinning but not drag the bottom . Yes the people jigging will catch more fish faster but who complains about having to spend more time on the water . Snortwhezze knows me and he will tell you that I’m out there catching fish this way long before the traditional crawler harness season

41 - 60 of 69 Posts