Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Don't see why not. I've caught 'em trolling with a bottom bouncer off the center in the rear when most were jigging in the spring. I've found the key to be going at a crawl in the cold water, like 0.7 to 0.8 mph upstream, and just enough for the lures to work downstream.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Absolutely! Make sure you drift right through the middle of the pack that is jigging. Oh yea, make sure you are also wearing your body armor LOL :)

I usually don't start bottom bouncing until late May or early June but don't see why you cant start earlier. May not be as productive as jigging but you should pick some up. It would only get better as the season progresses.

Marty

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I agree with everyone, lol....handliners get em as early as most & also agree, cold=slower is better....never hurts to try either !....we've done it several times and it always seemed like the jigging was 10 to 1 fish better ? but we never really tried to slow down either....but got me thinking, maybe a (smaller blade and plastic too) might spin easier ?....I've got some #4 plastic blades and they are way lighter....just thinking out loud....

Be very interesting to get some reports this spring, unless you HAMMER them, then just tuck that under your hat !....the zoo would be 10X's as crazy if 1/2 the boats were pulling harness's ! :rolleyes:....I love thinking outside the box, just like the pack !....emmm, maybe a smaller spin&glow !....liking it already, lol....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My problem is that I can't really put a trolling motor on my boat so I have to drift with the current. Hard to use jigs when I can't keep vertical...

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
My problem is that I can't really put a trolling motor on my boat so I have to drift with the current. Hard to use jigs when I can't keep vertical...
For the 2019 season I was fishing the D in a 14' aluminum boat with a transom mounted trolling motor. With a little practice, even that configuration can work to get vertical. Not sure what the layout is on your boat to discourage or prevent TM usage, but in my experience, you can still get it done without a bow mount.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
For the 2019 season I was fishing the D in a 14' aluminum boat with a transom mounted trolling motor. With a little practice, even that configuration can work to get vertical. Not sure what the layout is on your boat to discourage or prevent TM usage, but in my experience, you can still get it done without a bow mount.

IDK about on the D, but on the Saginaw river you don't even need a trolling motor. You can just put your motor in reverse and go that route. I have a transom mount on my tinny and have put that in reverse too. Way easier than constantly steering the boat.

·
Registered
12,715 Posts
You can still catch fish "early" with worms just wont be as many as jigging. When you do catch them they'll be big though ;).... I'm in a tournament when it's cold enough "most" of us are jigging. Couple guy's refuse to jig. Many of tournament have been won with crawlers, not nearly the fish but the fish that count

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I've got a bow rider that doesn't really have a good mounting area.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
I have done better bottom bouncing since I suck at jigging. Decline to buy a $150 jigging rod to feel the bite. I use body bait like bomber in April and harness when water warms up. I would not do it in Trenton channel with so many snags.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I have done better bottom bouncing since I suck at jigging. Decline to buy a $150 jigging rod to feel the bite. I use body bait like bomber in April and harness when water warms up. I would not do it in Trenton channel with so many snags.
You dont need a $150 rod to feel the bite, it just helps you feel when they sniff the bait lol

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I plan on trying it this spring for those windy days when I have a hard time staying contact with the bottom when jigging..... 4oz BB will keep me down there!
4’s are good, 6’s are better!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
You just gotta be different, don’t you!

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
You can certainly catch them pulling harnesses when people are jigging, but finding room to do it without making a bunch of enemies in the process might be a challenge. At least in any of the popular spots on the weekends. During the week it shouldn't be an issue.

The only issue about trolling in reverse is to be careful not to take a wave over the transom and swamp your boat. Wave-tamers might be needed. A buddy of mine used to jig that way on the river and he eventually did some damage to his motor from the constant shifting in and out of gear.

It is a good option to consider on those days when you have a down-current wind, as you can drift and catch them without fighting the wind with your TM all day.

·
Super Moderator
35,139 Posts
We know you suck. Don't have to tell us again!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
6s ! :yikes: how fast and deep ya gotta be not to snag those up ?

OP id suggest lightest ya can go early, lighter ya go the slower ya can go to keep bottom ;)
They're not in the mood to chase, hence better jigging then crawler bite
"They're not in the mood to chase, hence better jigging then crawler bite"
Finally the answer to why jigging in the Spring works better! Thank you...

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Just my opinion , but I believe it is the less resistance of the smaller blades that make them a better option in the river current. Before electric motors, it was called drifting , using a threeway swivel, with a one ft dropper to a pencil sinker and a 2 ft lead to your spinner and crawler. much like a slow jigging motion tapping the bottom.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts