Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before:

After:

Everything in the picture was grown in our garden. Even the cilantro came from the small herb garden we put in this year. The onions didn't
make it into the pic, but those were grown at home too. Oops!, I lied. The 2 heads of garlic came from the grocery store. Oh well, we'll have
to do some garlic next year.

Pretty darn tasty! We've got at least 2 more waves of tomatoes to pick
this year along with some black-eye peas and a few other late stuff. Hope eveyone's garden treated them well this year.

We're already planning for next year. We've chosen red clover as our cover crop and the compost pile will be cranking up soon.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Just did twenty quarts with my father in law this weekend. Took the peppers from my garden and the mayders and onions from his. This is my first year makeing salsa and it was a blast. Did it all outside with the turkey fryer and the grill. Cooked down the stuff with the turkey fryer and hot packed the jars on the grill burner. Not to mention the smoker was cold smokeing jerkey. What a way to stay home on the holiday weekend and work. :lol:

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Looks good to me. It's about that time isn't it. Guess I'd better get busy. I planted everything I needed for it this year.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Looks tasty. :corkysm55

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Before:

After:

Everything in the picture was grown in our garden. Even the cilantro came from the small herb garden we put in this year. The onions didn't
make it into the pic, but those were grown at home too. Oops!, I lied. The 2 heads of garlic came from the grocery store. Oh well, we'll have
to do some garlic next year.

Pretty darn tasty! We've got at least 2 more waves of tomatoes to pick
this year along with some black-eye peas and a few other late stuff. Hope eveyone's garden treated them well this year.

We're already planning for next year. We've chosen red clover as our cover crop and the compost pile will be cranking up soon.
NICE WORK AJ!!!

I used to plant a salsa garden every year when I lived in Minnesota. I made about 5 gallons every year.

I'm really hoping to get my boats moved and use the space for another salsa garden soon... again, good job! It's well worth the effort.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Very nice! I did 2.5 gallons of salsa but cooked it a touch to long ...so added a pound of burger and lots of beans now I have 3 gallons of chili in the freezer ...good stuff too

·
Registered
755 Posts
Looks tasty:D. Nothing like a good homemade salsa and knowing whats really in it. I've been a canning fool this year, 123 jars so far.

About 30 quarts of my chile mix (maters,pepers,onion and celery)
A couple dozen each of salsa (testing different peppers) and stewed maters
7 quarts of spaghetti sauce
7 pints of carrots (first time experimenting with a pressure canner)
And the rest pickled, mainly dills but also a few jars of pickled zuchini
I also did a couple quarts of "the end of the garden pickle" (cukes, zuchini, pepers and the onions that didn't take off all mixed together).

Looks like I'm canning again today got a table full of tomatos in the garage and at least another bushell still on the vine. I think the smartest thing I did this year was pick up a second boil water canner, $18 at walmart. Saved a ton of time. After the garden thing is done I want to try the pressure canner on meat. I'll tell you I was nervous the first time I got that thing up to pressure;)

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Did 25 pints of salsa.... we dont eat salsa fast enough to make quarts :)
but all the stuff I used was also grown in my garden.... YEAH !!!!!
had enough Spaghetti/ Chillie Sauce from last year and no room to make more :(

Made Peaches 21 Quarts , now its gonna go to the Apples ........ :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts