Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, i hooked a rather large steelhead from my boat out in the Grand. I was alone and noticed I had forgotten my net. I realized i could have picked up anchor and tried to beach the fish, but being the sportsman that I am, I tried to grab him.:lol: I managed to get to the leader four times, on the fifth attempt, I actually made contact with the fish. End of story, fish went wild, snapped off at the hook and released itself. Slippery little buggers and I might add if it was a marlin it would have counted!

Afterwards, I went and got my net and actually caught a couple more.

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
sure, it probably could be done. but fat chance of getting your spot back on the grand lol
LOL!!! Someone could fall put of the boat and even the guy's buddy isn't gonna lift anchor and go get him. "All I know is you better swim your a** back up here because I'm not givin' up this spot until it's time to go home!"

If you're wading out there, steelhead can be a lot easier to land without a net because you can get them right up to you and pin them against your leg with your hand. From a boat? Yeah, it can done, but you gotta play 'em to death before they're in a position where you can scoop a hand under them and pin them against the side of the boat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
easiest way i have found to land trout and salmon without a net in a boat is to grab them by the base of the tail and flip them upside down as quickly as possible then get a hold of the head. Key is to keep the fish upside down can't remember the exact term for what it does to the fish but it sure keeps them from thrashing about as much.

·
Super Moderator
20,791 Posts
Not sure if "tailing" works on steelhead

From what I remember (fishing without a net), the tails on lakers and steelhead collapse, unlike salmon

·
Registered
498 Posts
A quick note on tailing - since you normally get a couple tries at tailing a fish, it pays to get a good look at the fish first. Make sure there are no flies, spoons or spinners snagged in the back/tail area of the fish prior to grabbing it.

Should you tail a fish and get snagged with a hook, you'll have a really hard time trying to get loose, and a thrashing king or steelhead probably won't help matters at all.

I've never had this happen to me, but have almost tailed a few kings on the Garden (Soo) that had hardward hanging off of them. A quick look or two was enough to spend a little time leading them into the shallows.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ive tailed steel before. Its tough. You have grab as hard as you can. Ive lost a couple tryin to tail because yes, they are very slippery.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
easiest way i have found to land trout and salmon without a net in a boat is to grab them by the base of the tail and flip them upside down as quickly as possible then get a hold of the head. Key is to keep the fish upside down can't remember the exact term for what it does to the fish but it sure keeps them from thrashing about as much.

:yeahthat:yep flipping any fish upside downs seems to put them in a trance.

·
Registered
400 Posts
if you want to make tailing fish easier, get yourself a good landing glove or use an old wool glove. it'll give you added grip on this fish..

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Apply the deather grip to that tail and pull em' up. If you are going to keep the fish, slide a finger or two under the gill plate and pull them out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts