Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Hopefully this isnt too stupid of a question, but anyways i am looking at possibly buying a 1989 21ft Rinker with a 4.3L inboard. Im actually planing on using the boat for both fishing on lake erie and just to get out on the lake in the summer. This will be my first boat besides my two small aluminum boats. So my question is if i buy this boat would it be possible to add an outboard motor to the back of the boat just in case something happens to go wrong with the inboard so im not stranded on the lake?? Seems it might also be better for trolling, but what do i know im a newbie to boating. Also if i can add one what would be the ideal size as a backup motor/trolling motor 25hp??? thanks for any info or advice
mark

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Absolutly.. You will need to install a lift bracket of some sort. Brackets range from about $200 - $xxxx.xx depending on the size motor you are going to carry. I'm trying to do the same thing, but keep everything out of the way.. We'll see.... May have to modify your swim platform...

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
I had a 15hp 2 Stroke on my 24' and hated it. It could move it, but it was up in the R's to keep her moving. Any type of headwind and it had a problem holding a course (and teh big lake ALWAYS has some wind). Having reving so hi made it alot louder than the V8. The 2 stroke smell was not the most pleasant thing too.

If you do go with one, get a 4 stroke, 15 hp min. (for a 21 ft) One thing: If you plan on hooking an E-Z steer up, you need to check how your power steering works. Most boats with Power steering don't like to turn too freely, similar to a car. Sitting at the back with a hand on the tiller is not a fun way to spend the day. If you plan on adding an autopilot (IF you can get past the power steering issue and use a E-Z Steer) the thrust of the little motor will not be enough for the autopilot to correct itself.

Believe me, been there done that. They usually become more of a headache then they are worth. Most guys I know that put them on a Fiberglass Boat end up getting rid of them. The best thing to do is buy up some Towing insurance and do your regular preventative maintenance. 15 yrs on the water @ 600+ hrs a yr and have yet to be towed it. Better yet, get a good circle of guys where you fish. Most of them will not leave another boat stranded. I have towed about 1 to 2 boats a yr in, on avg.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks but who would you go through for towing insurance??? And if you do get towing insurance who do you call to tow you in??? If i do buy the boat i might just see if my uncle will just give me the 25hp motor he has laying around and try it we'll see thanks for the info thus far guys
mark

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Few comments..

If you do go the kicker route take a look at the Merc Pro-Kicker/Big-Foot or Yamaha T-series. These are high thrust setups with larger props and different lower end gearing.

With a 21 footer your not going to want anything smaller than 15 hp.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Join Boat US (www.boatUS.com). Its like $20, which includes 50 bucks towing coverage. Most of the time it will cost u hundreds if you use them. they offer Different packages at different Prices to cover this.

No Matter what, you want a VHF radio to contact others in the water in times of trouble. You also need a GPS to give your position. You can get a radio for $100 if you look around, and another $75 for a good antennea. Handheld GPS's go for as little as $70 now. You need those to things MINIMUM if your going out in the big blue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Yamaha T8 on my 21ft 6 inch WA Seaswirl, hardtop, that is perfect for trolling. A couple of friends use the same T8 setup on their 24-26 Seaswirls. Properly set up, a 8-9.9 high thrust motor would be very good for your boat. By using a 4 stroke kicker you could hook into the main gas line and avoid using a seperate gas tank for a 2 stroke kicker.

I am able to troll and have complete control of my boat in any type water that I care to fish in. My first kicker was a 4 stroke, 15 Hp Evinrude, but was replaced with a T8 because I needed the power trim and tilt. There was absolutely no difference in the performance between the 2 motors. Both had the same top speed and ability to troll as slow as I wanted. Good luck.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
smallgun said:
I have a Yamaha T8 on my 21ft 6 inch WA Seaswirl, hardtop, that is perfect for trolling. A couple of friends use the same T8 setup on their 24-26 Seaswirls. Properly set up, a 8-9.9 high thrust motor would be very good for your boat. By using a 4 stroke kicker you could hook into the main gas line and avoid using a seperate gas tank for a 2 stroke kicker.
What big motor did u have, I/O or OB?

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
smallgun said:

I am able to troll and have complete control of my boat in any type water that I care to fish in. My first kicker was a 4 stroke, 15 Hp Evinrude, but was replaced with a T8 because I needed the power trim and tilt. There was absolutely no difference in the performance between the 2 motors. Both had the same top speed and ability to troll as slow as I wanted. Good luck.
I have to agree. I have the Yamaha T8 (8 HP) on my 27 Pursuit and it works great for trolling. If it can't handle the conditions, it's probalby too rough out there anyway. I have it hooked up to a TR-1 Gold autopilot and it's a slick set-up. :)

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
John,
Do you have hydraulic Steering on the Pursuit?

The problem I have seen with trying to connect to an I/O is most have power-assisted, cable steering. If the big motor isn't running, there is no power steering, which makes it harder to turn, expeciallly in conjunction with a wheel mounted autopilot. Combine the no-power steering and a good head wind, it makes things not so easy, or at least that is what I have experienced. With hydraulic steering, you (or the auto) would have no problem turing the wheel.

But again, all my experience has been Power assisted I/O's with 2 strokes. I have been on many boats with a kicker setup with OB's @ Hyd. steering. Much easier.

The new4 strokers' would be the only way togo. Not cheap, but it wouldn't be boating if it was.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts