Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last archery season my 37 year old nephew experienced a situation with his crossbow that I suspect many crossbow users don't give a lot of thought to. For the record, though quite strong, my nephews admittedly not the most athletic, motor skills, kind of guy. But, he's not a total klutz by any means. A very intelligent guy, and a very good, dedicated hunter that's incredibly focused when in the woods. In a cold late October pre dawn darkness, he was preparing to settle into one of our more remote ground blinds and was in the process of loading his Barnett Crossbow. The morning was not only cold, but it bought to that area of the woods, wet slippery soil from a recent rain. As he almost completely had the cocking cable pulled 100% back, his rubber boot slipped out of the stirrup and the bow leapt back up and caught him square in the face. Blood everywhere. Especially on him. Did I mention he was in one of our more remote located blinds? After all was said and done, the damage tally was, one lost tooth, multiple stitches inside and outside the mouth area, severe bruising and swelling, a black eye, weeks of pain, costly medical bills, loss of hunting time, and some very hurt pride. The attending physician that saw him as he arrived at the hospital said, "looks like you got kicked in the face by a horse". I have to say, that's a good summation of how he looked. And, not to get sidetracked, but the following 2 to 4 days in particular proved extremely painful for him. Because of opioid abuse, the doctor staunchly refused writing scrip for more than the original 4 pain killers. Because we didn't want to hurt his pride, we didn't take any photographs. I wish we had, if only to better illustrate the lunacy of such policy and the physicians ridiculous refusal to provide additional pain relief. But that's a story in itself. My nephew, I am glad to say, did recover in time to spend 2.5 weeks in deer camp later on and was his usual good hunting company. Dedicated and enthusiastic. However, he now noticeably, and myself too, seem to position our bodies a little more defensively now when loading up our bows. Given the right circumstances it can happen to anyone.

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
The things store incredible power, especially when being cocked and anytime when in the fully cocked position. Accidents happen and always will and when one occurs with a crossbow the results aren't usually pretty, they deserve your utmost respect at all times.

Luckily for your nephew his injuries resulted in no real long term, life altering damage.
Four days of pain would be plenty to deal with in and of itself, it seems the doctor might have been a little over protective in my opinion, but I'm not a doctor.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Punched myself in the face once after wet glove slipped off the cocking rope, never thought about the bolt coming back at me. Time to order the autococking accessory. Hope your nephew is ok

·
Registered
856 Posts
I never had that happen with my older model excaliber but when I got the new shorter narrower model I tell you I pay particular care to that as I could see how it could really hurt if it slipped off the stirrup. I noticed years ago my hunting buddies all had 10 points with sort of rounded I thought flimsy stirrups and seemed they were always breaking them. The excal had a much beefier sturrip and it had square edges which seemed to grip better. Glad your nephew recovered. I can rerlate to the med situation. I had major cancer surgery and they would only give me low dose tramadol and 2 extra strength tylenol for pain. It was a long several days before the pain slowed down enough but they wouldn't give me anything as they are all scared you will od or something !

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never had that happen with my older model excaliber but when I got the new shorter narrower model I tell you I pay particular care to that as I could see how it could really hurt if it slipped off the stirrup. I noticed years ago my hunting buddies all had 10 points with sort of rounded I thought flimsy stirrups and seemed they were always breaking them. The excal had a much beefier sturrip and it had square edges which seemed to grip better. Glad your nephew recovered. I can rerlate to the med situation. I had major cancer surgery and they would only give me low dose tramadol and 2 extra strength tylenol for pain. It was a long several days before the pain slowed down enough but they wouldn't give me anything as they are all scared you will od or something !
The pain med scenario is unbelievable anymore. My nephews face was like a carnival character and it was totally obvious he wasn't "faking" pain for other intent. Being treated the way you were after major surgery is simply disgraceful. No common sense is unfortunately a sign of our times.

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
The pain med scenario is unbelievable anymore. My nephews face was like a carnival character and it was totally obvious he wasn't "faking" pain for other intent. Being treated the way you were after major surgery is simply disgraceful. No common sense is unfortunately a sign of our times.
Sign of the times alright.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Thanks for sharing, but you have no idea what is going on behind the scenes with opioids if you think the physician was unilaterally making this decision. Providers are under enormous pressure to avoid using opioids. Many people have simply blamed healthcare providers for the opioid crisis, rather than dealing with all the other moving parts in this crisis.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Mucks do not fit extremely well inside the stirrup of my excalibur. The boot has slipped out of the stirrup once while cocking the crossbow at the base of a tree stand. "Tall guy with a short crossbow did NOT take it to the face" <----squeaky soprano voice.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Compounds too. I once drew back to check if lanes would be clear and noticed a leaf fell right at the string and the cam. did not want let down and run the leaf though it so i tried to shake it out. Well lost my leverage and the bow came slamming back at me and the cable guide nailed me right between 2 knuckles. Luckily it was between the knuckles. Nice hole, but no damage.

·
Super Moderator
35,358 Posts
Compounds too. I once drew back to check if lanes would be clear and noticed a leaf fell right at the string and the cam. did not want let down and run the leaf though it so i tried to shake it out. Well lost my leverage and the bow came slamming back at me and the cable guide nailed me right between 2 knuckles. Luckily it was between the knuckles. Nice hole, but no damage.
I have really bad target panic with a compound. I was practicing not punching the trigger and ended up punching the cable guide. Hard.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for sharing, but you have no idea what is going on behind the scenes with opioids if you think the physician was unilaterally making this decision. Providers are under enormous pressure to avoid using opioids. Many people have simply blamed healthcare providers for the opioid crisis, rather than dealing with all the other moving parts in this crisis.
I think you make a valid point.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Thats why I stick with bowhunting You guys can have those bang sticks.
I had my release go 3/4 of the way into a draw. Punched myself pretty solid shot to the cheek on my compound. I always push my boot deep as possible into the stirrup . Let down if I feel any slippage. I'm tall and have recocked my x bow in stand. Definitely not something I'd want to do regularly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts