Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a story the other day about how opposums will bite, scratch ect...an animal without killing it but in doing so they infect it so the animal eventually dies. The guy who old me the story said he had a rabbit in a cage that was attacked by an opposum and after killing the opposum and having his kid's pet rabbit stitched up the vet told him that opposums can kill animals by infecting them with disease from their dirty teeth, nails ect...and the animal dies later and the opposum comes back later and eats it. The vet said that they can even kill deer using this method. I've never heard of this before. Anyone have any stories to confirm or rebuff this statement?

·
Registered
19,128 Posts

said he had a rabbit in a cage that was attacked by an opposum and after killing the opposum and having his kid's pet rabbit stitched up the vet ......
That it quite a story. I suppose if a rabid possum was somehow successful in biting a deer, it would die. Seems very unlikely that this would ever happen.

L & O

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts
I was told they had "nasty mouths when I was young.
Don't know if they are komodo bad or not.

Here is a paper on their mouths.
Page 2 last paragraph can scare you a little.:lol:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC268179/?page=1
I was once rabbit hunting back in the early 70s. Came across a dead cow. There was a family of opossums living inside it.

They met their maker.

i would not be at all surprised that a possum bite could be lethal.

Nasty, nasty, nasty critters.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I heard a story the other day about how opposums will bite, scratch ect...an animal without killing it but in doing so they infect it so the animal eventually dies. The guy who old me the story said he had a rabbit in a cage that was attacked by an opposum and after killing the opposum and having his kid's pet rabbit stitched up the vet told him that opposums can kill animals by infecting them with disease from their dirty teeth, nails ect...and the animal dies later and the opposum comes back later and eats it. The vet said that they can even kill deer using this method. I've never heard of this before. Anyone have any stories to confirm or rebuff this statement?
Check snopes.

·
Banned
28 Posts
The answer is yes. It is also true that an Opposum can kill a human by the same means, or any other mammal for that matter.

However, your theory of biting and coming back later to a dead carcass is absolutely false. That being said, it is likely that a different Opposum may come along and clean up after the initial infection has caused death (months later). At that point, a police line-up and forensic laboratory tests would be necessary to determine if it was the same suspect.

"Science is simply common sense at its best."

·
Registered
583 Posts
As stated before I believe they can carry fatal diseases to any animal however the opossum using this as a hunting technique to return later and eat? bologna! Welcome to Komodo island

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Pretty interesting.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sidesho...em-immune-nearly-poisons-could-190604532.html

The Journal of Venomous Animals and Toxins has found that the American opossum produces a protein known as Lethal Toxin-Neutralizing Factor (LTNF). And as the Boing Boing blog points out, the LTNF protein is exactly what it sounds like, seeking out otherwise lethal poisons that have entered an opossum's body and neutralizing them.

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,133 Posts
if 3 people come in:

one bit by a dog
one bit by a human
one bit by a possum

Triage = possum bite > then human bite > then dog bite

(all else being equal)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts