Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Drake out to the campground today at 2:30 and by 8:00 he was vomiting and had the runs. Same thing happened about a month ago when we got home from camping...three rx's a night at the vets and fluids given to him through iv got him better...what is he getting into that makes him so dehydrated and sick? ?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forget it, I failed to remember why I stopped visiting Michigan sportsman in the first place...you just reminded me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an aquaintance that says he spreads moth balls around his camper to keeps snakes away. It takes all kinds so hard to tell what you may have encountered.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
First thing I thought was maybe he was being over worked from the heat and humidity. But I can say my chess has knack for finding every dead animal in the forest and puking it later. Last summers ehd break out was not fun at my house with two dogs sick every other week from eating and rolling in dead deer.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Are you camping at the same place? Has the ground been treated with insecticide/pesticide?

What did the vet say the first time?

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Took Drake out to the campground today at 2:30 and by 8:00 he was vomiting and had the runs. Same thing happened about a month ago when we got home from camping...three rx's a night at the vets and fluids given to him through iv got him better...what is he getting into that makes him so dehydrated and sick? ?
Let's see...is he tied up, running loose, in a crate, in the truck, in an RV, out walking with your 7 kids??? The only info relayed was Drake went camping and 5.5 hours latter got sick. As the Dr. used to say on Hee Haw..."Don't do that"!

You're the one who should know what he's getting into, we weren't there to watch him.
:yeahthat:

Forget it, I failed to remember why I stopped visiting Michigan sportsman in the first place...you just reminded me.
Are you camping in Michigan?, LP? NLP? UP? What type of park? near water?? running water or stagnant pond? What type of vegetation/mushrooms around? Without any info how can you expect any useful answers?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
How old is he? My Griff had the same issues when camping or when traveling long distances. At first he would not eat, throw up a couple of times and always have the runs. After a few trips he quit throwing up but continued to have the runs until just a few months ago. He is two. One thing that seemed to help was taking water from home which I still do. Also when he gets the runs a can of pumpkin seems to help. When he would get bad on a camping trip I would make some boiled chicken and rice and feed that for the rest of the trip. Hope this helps.

Jim

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
310 Posts
My dogs started getting sick last year. I actually had to put down my old one. My Vet said it was a biological bacteria. It wiped out the good bacteria in their stomachs. Found this out when, second do got sick. Gave him a shot and said I should see improvement within a few hours, if not we were to late. Thankfully he got better. This spring my new pup and dog and cat got it. Again I asked my Vet. He said just something that happens some never get it some get once and others continually. With out expensive testing I don't know what's doing it. I have a clean yard but live in the trees with,lots if wildlife. Also a lot of feral cats and neighbors dogs loose, who knows if the have any shots.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Another reason I never camp in a campground. There have been many people before you and you have no idea what could have been dumped there.

Hope your dog is alright.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts